Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by SC <cs...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2019/12/30 16:40:10 UTC

question about using OpenOffice and Micro office

Hi,

Is it possible to download and install OpenOffice if I already have Microsoft Office on my computer?

I don't want to delete my Microsoft Office from my computer.

If possible, I would like to install OpenOffice and try it out and see how I like it.

My home computer has Win. 8.1.  I wish manufacturers of computers would not install things like Microsoft products and instead give buyers options of operating systems to buy and install.

At work I need to buy a new computer with Win 10.  I would like to install OpenOffice on it.

What is the latest version of OpenOffice and will it work with Win 10?

Thank you for making this available without cost.  May you all have a great New Year!

Sharon
Richmond, VA

Re: question about using OpenOffice and Micro office

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
A comment about installing OpenOffice when Microsoft Office is already
installed.
Watch carefully during the installation process. At one point a question
will be asked whether to make

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 11:43 AM SC <cs...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to download and install OpenOffice if I already have
> Microsoft Office on my computer?
>
> I don't want to delete my Microsoft Office from my computer.
>
> If possible, I would like to install OpenOffice and try it out and see how
> I like it.
>
> My home computer has Win. 8.1.  I wish manufacturers of computers would
> not install things like Microsoft products and instead give buyers options
> of operating systems to buy and install.
>
> At work I need to buy a new computer with Win 10.  I would like to install
> OpenOffice on it.
>
> What is the latest version of OpenOffice and will it work with Win 10?
>
> Thank you for making this available without cost.  May you all have a
> great New Year!
>
> Sharon
> Richmond, VA

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: question about using OpenOffice and Micro office

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
...oops, accidentally hit send. The complete message was meant to be...

A comment about installing OpenOffice when Microsoft Office is already
installed.

Watch carefully during the installation process. At one point a question
will be asked whether to make OpenOffice the "default" program.

If you respond Yes then double-clicking one of you document files will open
it in OpenOffice. If No is selected then double-clicking one of your
documents will continue to open in Microsoft product after OpenOffice
install completes.

In either case, the default program can be changed so double-click always
opens documents in a particular program.

And if the default is not the program you wish to use for a given document
then right-click the file, select the "open with" option and click the
program you want.

Posted by Andrea <an...@gmx.ch>.
Yes, it is possible to have OpenOffice and Microsoft Office on the same
Computer
You will find the latest version on https://www.openoffice.org/download/
and yes, it will also run on Win10