Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Yulian Oifa <oi...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/06 20:54:34 UTC

Transaction Timeout on get_count

Hello
I am having raw in which approximately 100 values is written per minute.
Those columns are then deleted ( it contains active records list ).
When i am trying to execute get_count on that raw i get transaction timeout
, even while the raw is empty.
I dont see anything in cassandra log on neither node , pending tasks are
zero.
What could be a reason for that , and how can it be resolved?
Best regards
Yulian Oifa

Re: Transaction Timeout on get_count

Posted by Tupshin Harper <tu...@tupshin.com>.
Constant deletes and rewrites are a very poor pattern to use with
Cassandra. It would be better to write to a new row and partition every
minute and use a TTL to auto expire the old data.

-Tupshin

Posted by Yulian Oifa <oi...@gmail.com>.
Thank for you replies.
1) I can not create raw each X time , since it will not allow me to get a
complete list of currently active records ( this is the only reason i keep
this raw initially ).
2) As for compaction i thought that only raw ids are cached and not columns
itself. I have completed compaction and it indeed cleared most of data (
75% of complete table ,and there are some other raws ).
It looks like it did not cleared all the data from disk ( compaction should
set table into single file , while other files still left ) , but showed in
log that data cleared , also after compaction this raw became responsive.

Most of our data is wrotten once and kept in history , however we have also
counter columns which are not working good ( had troubles with that ) and
several places where we use create / delete approach.Now i understand why
our data grows so much , it just does not clears old data at all , but
marks it as tombstone...
What NOSQL database would you recommend for such usages ( write onces read
many mixed with counter columns mixed with read/write oftenly data)?

Thanks and best regards
Yulian Oifa

Posted by Lukas Steiblys <lu...@doubledutch.me>.