Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jonville Paul <pa...@uclouvain-mons.be> on 2012/04/05 12:01:00 UTC

Informations

Hello,

I'm a student in economics at Louvain School of Management (in Belgium).

I have a work to do for my Integrate Information System class which consist to compare Apache OfBiz and Open ERP.

I would like to know if it is possible to have some information about your company.

What are the advantages of your products in term of available modules, needed computer

specifications, available aids, ergonomics, targeted public(small businesses or big ones),  how to adapt the modules depending on the specific needs of the enterprise, etc.

The work will be entirely confidential (if you need a paper to ensure it I can send you one)

Thank you very much for your time,

Wish you the best.

Paul Jonville

Re: Informations

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Thanks Mike,

Your message is very informative.

Can you summarise the difference in requirements for accounting in Europe vs
elsewhere?

VAT is obviously a big difference, but what else is there?

Thanks

Paul Foxworthy

Mike Z wrote

-----
--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
http://www.cohsoft.com.au/

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/

Re: Informations

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Sorry for typos :D

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Re: Informations

From: "Mike" <mz...@gmail.com>

Re: Informations

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Informations

Posted by Info Olagos <in...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

I am Eric Lens, shareholder of the Olagos bvba in which my wife is CEO.

I am doing the technical site of the ofbiz e-commerce and erp package.

I am very interested to help you further with your work.

I can write if you like in French, English or Flemish which is my mother
tongue.

About the product Ofbiz.

I am very happy to have choosen Ofbiz in 2008 . I have  a full time job
during the day and i am manipulating ofbiz only some evenings of the week.

Ofbiz is very usefull if you have some IT background. I say some IT
background but i mean you need 15 years experience in IT to be able to
manipulate all edges of the sofware. It is using so many different
techniques which you need to administer all in order to have a full package
working.

In my fulltime job i am a IT Project Manager in Java and Oracle techniques.
So i see a lot of code passing my eyes.

The disadvantage for me was that i had no experience at all what
functionalities an ERP package has. So i had to learn a lot of business
analysis before i could use it.

The disadvantage is that ofbiz has a long learning curve.

Even after five years now i learn necessary things about Ofbiz.

There is documentation and commercial books but it can still better.

The advantage with the described knowledge is then that the package can be
configured and adapted very easily and very fast by means of XML.

All these adaptations you can them for free at that moment.

The Ofbiz package is also very complete. You can use webservices for
communication with other software at remote sites for example.

We use the modules Project Management, Party Manager, Human Resources,
Catalog Manager, parts of the accountancy for creating invoices f.e.,
E-Commerce module with a very powerfull search machine, marketing package,
etc.

The advantage also is the multiple language capability built in.

The disadvantage is that it needs many central memory and processor power.

Advantage is the use of different types of Databases at which the Ofbiz is
adapting itself completely automatically.

Advantage is that it uses plain old java code. So no java Spring or java
Hibernate is used which is for me an advantage.

Advantage is the very detailed logging of errors and warnings and info's it
creates.

Disadvantages is that the accountancy module is based on American standards.

Advantage is that Ofbiz can be executed on Windows as well as Linux.

Disadvantage are the high costs because of needed memory and processor
power when putting it in a datacenter on a hired virtual server.

I have also memory leaks on my Windows Vista with the Ofbiz software. This
means i have to restart the Ofbiz and computer every week. I don't know
what the reason is.

By the way i run the Ofbiz with MySql database.

This are all my first things in mind about Ofbiz.

I am looking further to work with you together.

I can give you also some interesting contacts all over the world from
people who are since years working in Ofbiz development and/or maintenance.

You can ask me as much questions about Ofbiz as you like.

If you want to meet me that is also possible in Brussels during the day .

Best regards,
Eric Lens

--
Olagos bvba