Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/07/18 05:29:52 UTC

Re: svn commit: r219372 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES include/ap_mmn.h modules/proxy/mod_proxy.c modules/proxy/mod_proxy.h

At 07:57 PM 7/17/2005, Ian Holsman wrote:

>ok..
>I'll go fix the structure.
>I wasn't sure what the difference was.
>>A new structure member (at the end of an httpd-allocated structure)
>>or new function are minor bumps; which this patch falls under.
>>The user updating should not need to update their module, because
>>the expectations when such modules were built have not changed.

I should have pointed out that if the sizeof() is well known,
and we know of/expect developers to allocate it for themselves,
then we would have to have a major bump; as long as httpd has
an allocator for the structure (which observes the now-current
sizeof()) then we are fine :)

This really makes me pause and consider; we really need an accessor
to define the version/length of specific apache defined structures;
low-level modules can check if they need to know they are compatible.

Good change for Apache 2.2's API?

Bill