Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arnab Ganguly <ag...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/17 18:30:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Responding to ping

Hi All,
Is it possible that Apache server stops responding under heavy load, but it
responds to ping? What would be the possible causes for this?
Remote client is getting connection refused when it tries to connect.But
when the I ping the server from the client box it shows the server is alive.
Thanks
-A

Re: [users@httpd] Responding to ping

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Arnab Ganguly <ag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Is it possible that Apache server stops responding under heavy load, but it
> responds to ping? What would be the possible causes for this?
> Remote client is getting connection refused when it tries to connect.But
> when the I ping the server from the client box it shows the server is alive.
> Thanks
> -A

If you hit MaxClients, apache will be able to accept some number of
new connections but not really do anything with them. Eventually it
won't be able to accept new connections (see ListenBacklog)

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Responding to ping

Posted by fchan <fc...@molsci.org>.
Dragon is correct. Apache can be overload due many issues (ie overly
popular site or DoS attack, etc.) but the system will still ping and
respond to other ports and services. Apache will hit the limit and
not respond to http request, which is good, to prevent your system
from DoS or crash.
There are some firewalls that can detect and thwart some  DoS attacks
which you can research on your own for if you wish.

Frank

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.