Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2018/06/04 17:46:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Hi -

I think that the IP Clearance process has become very much a bureaucratic process where the IPMC is contributing little of value. Very seldom is there any feedback provided.

(1) It is separate from the SGA process for new podlings, but it is similar in that the Secretary will record the SGA and/or CCLA.
(2) The documentation is confusing about whether or not podlings need to follow it or not.
(3) Top Level Projects are supposed to understand how to clear IP as that is a major part of the incubation process. If there are any questions the legal-discuss mailing list and JIRA are available.
(4) The Incubator is already stretched to provide Mentoring to all of our Podlings and IP Clearance seems to be off topic and not really scalable.
(5) Once a TLP graduates from the Incubator it seems regressive to have to go back unless there is a Community around the grant to be Incubated. That would lead to a Podling Proposal and not IP Clearance.

I think that the IPMC should recommend to the Board that this recording process be fully moved to the Secretary.

Regards,
Dave

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Would it be helpful if incubator submissions came with a [IP Review]
subject line? All accepted incubator and already-evaluated TLP records
would still be presented, with a [IP Recorded] or [IP Reviewed] subject
line.

I suspect it is helpful to show all incoming projects the conclusion of
other TLP's ongoing evaluations, but that evaluation for incubating efforts
must happen on this list.

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

The records at http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html> are important.

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I thought IP clearance in the Incubator was to more thoroughly verify the
code is properly licensed. The Secretary is primarily interested in the
form data being correct and filed appropriately.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.
I agree the IPMC only should care about podling. But another question, Is it necessary to guarantee the IP clearance when in TLP, some new TLPs  maybe not realize the importance of this question :-)

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.
clear ~~~

For Podlings, vote in IPMC and document it in the exist center place.
For TLPs, vote in its PMC and document in the exist center place.

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 5 June 2018 at 10:51, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> That doesn't do any good to the community if this is recorded privately.
>
> Unlike ICLA/CCLA documents which are quasi-private (the existence
> of a committer account is sufficient to document that the appropriate
> forms are on file), other projects that might lean on another project's
> imported component, or want to re-integrate previously cleared external
> IP need to be able to see that the initial IP clearance occurred. That's
> how the notices of IP clearance to general@i.a.o have been useful.

Very true. This is why I've been confused by the idea of just putting this
on the secretary since our records are private.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 5:15 PM, Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 June 2018 at 08:26, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> Since it's a foundation record, that should be the secretary's job, I
>> think. That is, the responsible PMC does the IP clearance and then submits
>> that info/record to the ASF secretary for filing.
>>
> Right. Any software grants are emailed to secretary@ and filed accordingly.
> Same process as CLAs...

Why not, but the IP clearance documents must remain publicly
accessible and discoverable.

Restricting the access rights to change them to secretary might be
good, but as opposed to CLAs and grants the IP clearance documents
need to be modifiable for some time, before being frozen once the
clearance is done.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 9:30 PM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> ...In other words, unless the code is for a podling, the IPMC shouldn't be involved, IMHO....

But it's good to have a central place to record those IP clearances, IMO.

So maybe:
-The Incubator PMC provides the space for IP clearances to be
documented (as it does now)
-Each PMC is responsible for their own IP clearances, which must be
documented in that place
-For podlings, it's the Incubator PMC who's in charge, as for any
votes that bind the Foundation

This means little change to the actual process - the only thing is
that for TLPs the IP clearance votes happen on their dev lists and are
linked to from the IP clearance pages, instead of happening on the
general@incubator.a.o list as they do now

How does that sound?

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

JFYI - while I really comment on the IP threads (unless Is find an issue which is rare) I probably check about 1/2 of them.

But I think the IPMC only dealing with podlings IP requests make sense.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.