Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/05 09:35:07 UTC

Re: Move to Java 7

We are on Java5 currently, that makes the build for a release more and
more inconvenient because you have to install
a Java5 VM to get it done.

No, other than this there are no strong reasons as far as I am aware of
to move forward to Java 6 or Java 7, both versions don't offer
any new exciting features which improve the user experience of OpenNLP.
Though it is nice to use the new API in Java 6/7 here and there.

OpenNLP 1.6.0 will break backward compatibility in some ways, e.g.
through the refactoring of the machine learning code, but
this will only affect users who sub-classed a component or copied over code.

Should we reconsider the update, and wait a bit longer? Would it make
sense to move forward to Java 6?

Jörn

Re: Move to Java 7

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Is anbody running OpenNLP on Android? As far was I know the Android
SDK is only Java 6.

Jörn

Re: Move to Java 7

Posted by amcmurry <mc...@gmail.com>.
FYI: Official dates for End Of Life for *Public Updates*

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Java 5 EOL Oct 2009
Java 6 EOL Feb 2013
Java 7 EOL Mar 2015

Re: Move to Java 7

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: Move to Java 7

Posted by ARUN Thundyill Saseendran <at...@gmail.com>.
*I vote for Java 7*

I believe it is high time we move on to Java 7.
We should have ported a long time back so that we wouldn't have had these
problems now.

Thanks
Arun

Re: Move to Java 7

Posted by Samik Raychaudhuri <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Move to Java 7

Posted by amcmurry <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Move to Java 7

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
> It is not necessary to have a Java5 VM to do a release for Java 5. Just set the source and target versions in the
> compile plugin and you are fine. I don't have a Java 5 VM since quite some time, but still do releases (e.g. uimaFIT)
> targeting Java 5.
>
> However, there is a risk that non-Java 5 API is being used without being noticed (e.g. new IOException(Throwable)).
> This can be caught by setting up a corresponding Jenkins job or eventually by users after a release, which then may
> require a bug-fix release.

Thanks for this input, we should adjust our release guidelines, even if
we now move to Java7 a new version will be out
one day.

We already have a Jenkins job, and that one will always run with the
corresponding Java version.

Jörn

Re: Move to Java 7

Posted by Mark G <gi...@gmail.com>.
My vote is move to 7. Java 7 has been out for over 2 years.

Re: Move to Java 7

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.