Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by "Jonathan S. Fisher" <ex...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/06 15:44:32 UTC

CXF 2.6 branch

Hello guys!

I have backported a few commits to the CXF 2.6 branch to close several CVEs.

If possible, may I submit these somewhere for review, and would it possible
to get maintenance release completed? I know the branch is long dead, but
over at the TomEE project, we're trying to produce a maintenance release for
the community on our 1.7.x series of server (JEE6) which still sees heavy
production use.

Thank you for consideration,

-Jonathan

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
I'll call a vote shortly. Note that I removed the toolchains stuff, and
specified "1.5" for the compiler source + target as it was before - I was
having trouble using Java 7 to do mvn release:prepare with toolchains.

Colm.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 4:02 PM, jgallimore <jo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ah, my bad. My local branch was out of date. Please ignore this, I'll close
> the PR. Is there anything else that needs to happen to close this off?
> Happy
> to help in any way I can.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jon

Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by jgallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like I may have done something incorrectly... I apologize. Am I using
the correct branch in git? I used the 2.6.x-fixes:
https://github.com/apache/cxf/tree/2.6.x-fixes

I did also try grabbing my PR as a diff
(https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.com/raw/apache/cxf/pull/298.diff) and
applying it manually to a checkout of the 2.6.x-fixes branch :

----
Jonathans-MacBook-Pro:cxf jgallimore$ git status
On branch 2.6.x-fixes
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/2.6.x-fixes'.
nothing to commit, working tree clean
Jonathans-MacBook-Pro:cxf jgallimore$ git apply < ~/cxf.diff
Jonathans-MacBook-Pro:cxf jgallimore$ git status
On branch 2.6.x-fixes
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/2.6.x-fixes'.
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

	modified:   api/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/helpers/FileUtils.java
	modified:
rt/rs/extensions/providers/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/jaxrs/provider/json/JSONProvider.java

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
----

Do let me know if I have messed up somewhere, or if there is a
better/different way to get you a patch.

I did also see Jonathan's issue with CharSequence on the Jenkins CI. I built
with JDK 1.6 here, and that didn't have that issue.

Many thanks

Jon

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
That patch does not apply to the 2.6.x branch?

error: patch failed: api/src/main/java/org/apache/
cxf/helpers/FileUtils.java:32
error: api/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/helpers/FileUtils.java: patch does
not apply
error: patch failed: rt/rs/extensions/providers/
src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/jaxrs/provider/json/JSONProvider.java:526
error: rt/rs/extensions/providers/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/
jaxrs/provider/json/JSONProvider.java: patch does not apply

Colm.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 9:12 PM, jgallimore <jo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I had a look at the branch, and it seems to build perfectly and all tests
> pass, except I had a couple of checkstyle errors, which I fixed in this PR:
> https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/298
>
> If it is sill at all possible for a release, that would be incredibly
> awesome of you. I'm happy to help with it in any way that I can.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Jon

Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Any update? I'd like to get this release out and forget about the 2.6.x
branch then ;-)

Colm.

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Jonathan S. Fisher <ex...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It was a CNFE, CharSequence. Very strange.
>
> I did manage to find a workaround, however, I'm getting pulled elsewhere.
> I'll open another PR until I get a chance to dig in. My workaround is to
> specify an exact version of BCEL

Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
What's the build error you're seeing? The branch passed for me with JDK 1.6.

Colm.

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Jonathan S. Fisher <ex...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a build error, I'll fix and send up another PR

Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by "Jonathan S. Fisher" <ex...@gmail.com>.
I have a build error, I'll fix and send up another PR

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by "Jonathan S. Fisher" <ex...@gmail.com>.
Thanks! Looking into this right now.

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
I've re-enabled the SAML tests that were failing + also backported two
additional CVEs (CVE-2015-5253 and CVE-2017-5656):

The branch now contains fixes for the following security advisories:

 - CVE-2014-3577
 - CVE-2014-3623
 - CVE-2015-5253
 - CVE-2016-8739
 - CVE-2016-6812
 - CVE-2017-5656

Please re-test and let me know if you are happy with it and we can call a
vote next week.

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Why is the toolchain stuff included? This isn't in the Apache CXF master
pom. I get a build failure when trying to build the branch:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-toolchains-plugin:1.1:toolchain (default) on
project cxf: Cannot find matching toolchain definitions for the following
toolchain types:
[ERROR] jdk [ vendor='oracle' version='1.6' ]

Colm.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Jonathan S. Fisher <ex...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm confident we've closed all of the known open CVEs.
> https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/279
>
> If you have a brief moment, reviewing my patches might be beneficial to the
> community, though I am already very thankful for the new 2.6 release.
>
> cheers,
> -Jonathan

Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by "Jonathan S. Fisher" <ex...@gmail.com>.
Yes, 2.6 is long dead. That's very much appreciated. Let me make very certain
I crush all of them this go around.

Re: CXF 2.6 branch

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Jonathan,

CXF 2.6.x is *long* dead and not maintained any more. However, I'm willing
to help get this release out on a "once off" basis just to cover the
security advisories. Let me know when the PR is ready and I'll review it.

Colm.

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Jonathan S. Fisher <ex...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello guys!
>
> I have backported a few commits to the CXF 2.6 branch to close several
> CVEs.
>
> If possible, may I submit these somewhere for review, and would it possible
> to get maintenance release completed? I know the branch is long dead, but
> over at the TomEE project, we're trying to produce a maintenance release
> for
> the community on our 1.7.x series of server (JEE6) which still sees heavy
> production use.
>
> Thank you for consideration,
>
> -Jonathan

Colm O hEigeartaigh