Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/04/08 17:53:01 UTC

colored output problems follow-up

As reported by John Siracusa certain colors that we use make the
messages almost unreadable on certain terms. I don't think we can come
up with a color map working for everybody and we will end up having more
complaints than we have added value from the colors.

On the other hand, as a developer I find these colored messages very
useful when I rebuild modperl and other projects using Apache::Test many
times. Therefore I suggest to disable the colouring by default and
having an option/envvar (as we have now) to enable this feature.

Re: colored output problems follow-up

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kcilink.com>.

SB> Issac, I don't want them to be off by default too. The "original" idea
SB> came from
SB> the gcc-color wrapper, but now I see that it has gone from gcc. Probably

Don't discount the fact that there are a significant number of people
who are color blind or partially color blind and certain color
combinations may be indistinguishable to them, rendering some text
essentially invisible.

Even it if is on by default, there shoul be an easy (ie, question
asked at runtime) way to turn it off, not by twiddling some
environment variable.

Re: colored output problems follow-up

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Issac Goldstand wrote:
> I don't know if my vote counts, but...
> -1 to turning off colors.
> I was delighted to see them - it made more critical points during the
> build/test process much easier to catch as they went by.  I'm not saying
> that we can't look into improving them somehow (either better
> combinations or trying to figure out the bg color [if that's possible],
> or making it easier to turn them off - or even turning them off by
> default and just making them easier to turn on [I'd never in a million
> years find APACHE_TEST_COLOR, nor would I ever think to turn them on on
> my own even if I did find the directive])

Issac, I don't want them to be off by default too. The "original" idea
came from
the gcc-color wrapper, but now I see that it has gone from gcc. Probably
it has
caused more complaints than it was helpful.

If you are willing to write a short test script that simply prints a few
colored messages, ask the modperl users on various platforms/terms to
run it and figure out a colormap working everywhere. If we find one that
would be great!

For now we will turn the colors off by default and you can enable them with
APACHE_TEST_COLOR env var in your ~/.profile or equiv. Since you will
miss the color you will remember to set this env var :) Others new to
2.0 will find this option in the docs.

Re: colored output problems follow-up

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Issac Goldstand wrote:

> I don't know if my vote counts, but...
> -1 to turning off colors.

actually, we don't really vote in modperl land.  '+1' just means "yeah, i
agree, go for it".  there is no such thing as '-1' in modperl land.

as for the colors, changing the variable name to APACHE_TEST_COLOR make
sense regardless.  if we figure out how to properly map colors everywhere,
the default 0 is just changed to 1.  and then APACHE_TEST_COLOR can just
be set to 0 in a users .profile or wherever to turn it off.

Re: colored output problems follow-up

Re: colored output problems follow-up

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
+1 on turning color off by default.  that'd mean changing
APACHE_TEST_NO_COLOR to APACHE_TEST_COLOR, enabling colors if
$ENV{APACHE_TEST_COLOR}.