Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Asif Iqbal <iq...@qwestip.net> on 2005/05/31 01:18:31 UTC

bayes DB in CDB format

Hi All

I see notes on using MySQL/PgSQL and other SQL database and migration
from Berkeley DB to MySQL. I was wondering if anyone knows how to
migrate to DAN's CDB from Berkeley DB for bayes DB. I like to use that (CDB) as the
bayes DB.

Thanks for any help/suggestion/tip

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

Re: bayes DB in CDB format

Posted by Arvinn Løkkebakken <ar...@whitebird.no>.

Rick Macdougall wrote:

> Asif Iqbal wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I see notes on using MySQL/PgSQL and other SQL database and migration
>> from Berkeley DB to MySQL. I was wondering if anyone knows how to
>> migrate to DAN's CDB from Berkeley DB for bayes DB. I like to use
>> that (CDB) as the
>> bayes DB.
>>
>> Thanks for any help/suggestion/tip
>>

> Hi,
>
> While I do not know the answer to that (I believe it's going to be
> "Sorry, CDB is not currently supported"), you should really look at
> MySQL or PgSQL for bayes if you are going to migrate.  On a heavily
> loaded server you almost have to run bayes with MySQL or suffer the
> consequences of bayes locking / expiry.

Not to mention when having > 1 spamd servers scanning the same "stream."
of messages and thus should share the same data.

Arvinn

Re: bayes DB in CDB format

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@nougen.com>.

Asif Iqbal wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I see notes on using MySQL/PgSQL and other SQL database and migration
> from Berkeley DB to MySQL. I was wondering if anyone knows how to
> migrate to DAN's CDB from Berkeley DB for bayes DB. I like to use that (CDB) as the
> bayes DB.
>
> Thanks for any help/suggestion/tip

Hi,

While I do not know the answer to that (I believe it's going to be
"Sorry, CDB is not currently supported"), you should really look at
MySQL or PgSQL for bayes if you are going to migrate.  On a heavily
loaded server you almost have to run bayes with MySQL or suffer the
consequences of bayes locking / expiry.

CDB may actually be worse then Berkeley DB for Bayes use, even if it
was/is supported because of the method it uses for updates.

With a real DB backend, those problems go away.

Just my $0.02 with a couple of hundred thousand messages scanned a day.

Regards,

Rick

Re: bayes DB in CDB format

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.

Re: bayes DB in CDB format

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Asif Iqbal wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I see notes on using MySQL/PgSQL and other SQL database and migration
> from Berkeley DB to MySQL. I was wondering if anyone knows how to
> migrate to DAN's CDB from Berkeley DB for bayes DB. I like to use that (CDB) as the
> bayes DB.
>
> Thanks for any help/suggestion/tip

CDB would be rather difficult to support for SA's bayes system. It's designed
for "constant databases", ie: those which are built once and read many times
without change.

To this end, CDB does not support single-record inserts or deletes, which are
very key operations to SpamAssassin's learning and expiry. Any learning or
expiry operation would require deleting the entire bayes database and rebuilding
the whole thing.

Re: bayes DB in CDB format

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 07:18:31PM -0400, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> from Berkeley DB to MySQL. I was wondering if anyone knows how to
> migrate to DAN's CDB from Berkeley DB for bayes DB. I like to use that (CDB) as the
> bayes DB.

There's no native support for CDB, so you'd have to do up your own
BayesStore backend module, etc.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Is it progress if a cannibal uses a knife and fork?