Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ramadoss Chinnakuzhandai <ra...@wipro.com> on 2003/04/10 11:27:58 UTC

Centralized configuration file for log4j

Hi,
        I have something interesting to ask you guys...well in my project we are using log4j for logging..the interesting thing is that every subsystem in this project routed to different type of logging for example subsystem1 should go to File which resides on the same subsystem's machine, and subsystem2 should go to JMS Queue(centralized logging)from where I process JMS Message then I store it into dB or File.

Since logging itself a separate service it has to register itself in admin service along with a subsystem which uses this  API.

Step 1: All other subsystems in the project should obtain logger instance to log data
        e.g. Logger logger = VehLogger.getLogger(xyz.class, context) where VehLogger is the class which I extended from Logger or log4j,xyz.class is loggername and context refer the subsystem eg.subsystem1.

Step 2:while obtaining logger instance it goes VehLogger class where I identify the subsystem by identifying the context and pass that context in JNDI look of admin service to obtain configuration file specific to that subsystem finally configure that file using DOMConfigurator i.e. a xml file containing appender as File,MaxFileSize =100kb and MaxBackupIndex = 2 for that subsystem1.

Step 3:Proceding logging based on that configuration file like log data goes to File and MaxFileSize=100kb and MaxBackupIndex=2 etc.

I just wondering is it correct approach....while considering configuration file located in remote Admin server..?? if not is there any other way to do this other than the one I mentioned above and  more importantly how good/bad this approach interms of performance like every time I have to JNDI lookup for the configuration file of Admin to build config file with respect to each subsystem then configure that file and do appending...?????

Greatly appreciate all your views and suggestions....

Cheers :-)
Ram