Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org> on 2001/04/29 11:29:30 UTC

Re: CORE::format() and CORE::write() under 5.6.x

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
> > There is this entry in the guide:
> >
> > ----
> > The interface to file handles which are linked to variables with
> > Perl's tie() function is not yet complete. The format() and write()
> > functions are missing. If you configure Perl with C<sfio>, write() and
> > format() should work just fine.
> > ----
> >
> > Is this still true under 5.6.x?
>
> if I rely on the perltie man page, these two aren't implemented in 5.6.x.

Note that Damian Conway has released a replacement for format as a
module. I forget what it's called now, but it's in his directory on CPAN
(not Text::Autoformat, btw).

--
<Matt/>

     \\//
     //\\
    //  \\

Re: CORE::format() and CORE::write() under 5.6.x

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Ken Williams wrote:

> stas@stason.org (Stas Bekman) wrote:
> >>
> >> Right, but it would be nice to point to an alternative. The module is
> >> called Text::Reform, by the way.
> >
> >True. Thanks.
> >
> >Does it have any problems with working under mod_perl? looks like a pure
> >perl to me.
>

> Damian claims to only ever write code in pure Perl.

I was told by quite a few people that this is because
of Damian academic background. With all the respect to Damian, it seems
that the functionality has a higher preference than performance at his
code. I've to admit though that the functionality is great :)

One of the people I had a bad luck to be in touch with, wrote an app using
Parse::RecDescent as a grammar parser. It was taking *only* a few minutes
to parse a big file. Which was quite innacceptible for the web app. I'm
imagine that if some of memory mangling parts of Parse::RecDescent were
rewritten in XS/C, it'll run much faster. But that might be not true.

Anyway, I don't see any reason why won't it work under mod_perl. It
doesn't have BEGIN/END blocks (e.g. FindBin doesn't work under mod_perl
for because it relies on BEGIN block to be recompiled on each request),
not tie, no globals (other than the standard ones).

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/

Re: CORE::format() and CORE::write() under 5.6.x

Posted by Ken Williams <ke...@forum.swarthmore.edu>.
stas@stason.org (Stas Bekman) wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:
>> > cool, but this section in the guide was stating the CORE::format() doesn't
>> > work.  And it's still doesn't under mod_perl. So doesn't CORE::write().
>>
>> Right, but it would be nice to point to an alternative. The module is
>> called Text::Reform, by the way.
>
>True. Thanks.
>
>Does it have any problems with working under mod_perl? looks like a pure
>perl to me.

Damian claims to only ever write code in pure Perl.

  -------------------                            -------------------
  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum

Re: CORE::format() and CORE::write() under 5.6.x

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Tue, 1 May 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Stas Bekman wrote:
> >
> > > cool, but this section in the guide was stating the CORE::format() doesn't
> > > work.  And it's still doesn't under mod_perl. So doesn't CORE::write().
> >
> > Right, but it would be nice to point to an alternative. The module is
> > called Text::Reform, by the way.
>
> True. Thanks.
>
> Does it have any problems with working under mod_perl? looks like a pure
> perl to me.

I doubt it has problems because it's not magical (well, it's only magical
in the Damian Conway sense, not in the Larry Wall sense :-)

But I haven't tried it either, so don't take my word for it :-)

--
<Matt/>

     \\//
     //\\
    //  \\

Re: CORE::format() and CORE::write() under 5.6.x

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://eXtropia.com/