Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2010/02/26 09:51:48 UTC

user-de@couchdb.apache.org

Hey all,

I'm getting more and more inquiries about place to discuss CouchDB in German.
I know there are quite a bit of German-speaking folks here: Do you think setting
up user-de@couchdb.apache.org would get any traction? Would *you* subscribe? :)

Also: Are there other languages/countries where this would make sense?
I don't think this should be a "me too" contest but rather a means of helping
more people get help with CouchDB. Do you think your language's community
would benefit from a separate place to talk?

What do others think? What are your experiences from other projects or communities?

Cheers
Jan

Re: user-de@couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
für zwei Biere können Sie hier auf Deutsch bekannt geben :)

Posted by Frank Pohlmann <fr...@apress.com>.
Hi there,

"unlurking myself". I was born in Germany, but I speak English, Tagalog and Italian on a regular basis. I live in Manila, and I can say with some confidence that Germany speakers interested in CouchDB are unlikely to suffer if they read this mailing list. It is possible that a beginner's list/forum might be a good idea, but it has been a while since I met a German/Austrian/Swiss programmer who would have cared either way.

Just my 2c

-Frank

Frank Pohlmann BA MBCS FRAS| Assistant Editorial Director | Open Source
Apress Inc
Phone: 0063-918-9447001
Email:    frank.pohlmann@apress.com
Visit:   http://www.apress.com
The Expert’s Voice™  www.apress.com

Posted by Frank Pohlmann <fr...@apress.com>.
...German* speakers...

Apologies

Posted by Siegmund Führinger <si...@0xx0.net>.
hi!

Posted by Nicolas Steinmetz <ns...@gmail.com>.
Hi;

2010/2/26 Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>

> I'm getting more and more inquiries about place to discuss CouchDB in
> German.
> I know there are quite a bit of German-speaking folks here: Do you think
> setting
> up user-de@couchdb.apache.org would get any traction? Would *you*
> subscribe? :)

Not me, my german skills are too old and not related to IT subjects ;-)

> Also: Are there other languages/countries where this would make sense?
> I don't think this should be a "me too" contest but rather a means of
> helping
> more people get help with CouchDB. Do you think your language's community
> would benefit from a separate place to talk?

On one side, it can help as you can express in your mother language. On the
other side it can split/spread the community into smaller blocks with no
necessary links between them (not sure it's an issue). Not sure couchdb
community is big enough to split it.

As english is the IT language by default, I now think it's not an issue to
follow only the "official/main" user list. Using english ressources by
default allow also to have the most up to date documentation (as translation
needs time and quite hard to maintain on the long term)

> What do others think? What are your experiences from other projects or
> communities?

Being part of French django community, the french user list is not really
used and with a very small traffic (a few msg / month). Looks that the whole
community is on the django-users list ; I did not check for other languages.

For french couchdb user list, there is one created by benoit but it lacks of
visibility I think. So it can explain why it has no success so far.

For both french django & couchdb community, I guess that IRC is the main
channel to get help in your own language (even if it's not my prefered tool
and can't join during work if I need)

So at the end, I would say I'm 0 on this (if I have to note between -1 / +1)
;-)

Nicolas
--
Nicolas Steinmetz
http://www.steinmetz.fr - http://nicolas.steinmetz.fr/

Re: user-de@couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Stefan Riehl <in...@sriehl.com>.
I'm also a German guy, but I would appreciate discussing in English,
because it's an international mailing-list. There should be forums
in German, but not the mailing-list. Zend Framework does the same,
mailing-lists are in English, but there are great forums in German.

Regards
Stefan

Am 26.02.2010 um 09:51 schrieb Jan Lehnardt:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm getting more and more inquiries about place to discuss CouchDB in German.
> I know there are quite a bit of German-speaking folks here: Do you think setting
> up user-de@couchdb.apache.org would get any traction? Would *you* subscribe? :)
>
> Also: Are there other languages/countries where this would make sense?
> I don't think this should be a "me too" contest but rather a means of helping
> more people get help with CouchDB. Do you think your language's community
> would benefit from a separate place to talk?
>
> What do others think? What are your experiences from other projects or communities?
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

Stefan Riehl

Mail info@sriehl.com
Phone +49 (163) 2640597

Re: user-de@couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Daniel Truemper <tr...@googlemail.com>.
>> Maybe we should start creating the Wiki CouchApp!? With this we could easily provide a central place for documentation and it could even be multilingual! And downloadable! I will try to find some time to look into this today. The taskr app to be specific since I did not really get into the authentication stuff so far!
>
> I'm working on that, will post details soon :)
Cool! Looking forward for that! :)

Daniel

Re: user-de@couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Mario Scheliga <ma...@sourcegarden.de>.
Am 02.03.2010 um 06:02 schrieb Jan Lehnardt:

> On 1 Mar 2010, at 02:21, Daniel Truemper wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> A clean, searchable Web frontend ( perhaps forums) would be nice,
>>> too.
>> I think this is what Markmail is for [1]. And you could easily
>> provide a Google translate link for the messages!?
>>
>>> But language specific documentation is the very best way to help
>>> People out. Me speaking german and i would love to help building a
>>> german documentation site, an english too ;-)
>>> Made with couchdb, so Users can Download it Simple ;-) - like the
>>> One in jchris's taskr.
>> Maybe we should start creating the Wiki CouchApp!? With this we
>> could easily provide a central place for documentation and it could
>> even be multilingual! And downloadable! I will try to find some
>> time to look into this today. The taskr app to be specific since I
>> did not really get into the authentication stuff so far!
>
> I'm working on that, will post details soon :)

Thats great. Is it possible to join developement?

thx
mario

--
Sourcegarden GmbH HR: B-104357
Steuernummer: 37/167/21214 USt-ID: DE814784953

Re: user-de@couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yohei SASAKI <ys...@gmail.com>.
Hi

We, in Japan, have a google group for our local CouchDB user community(*1).
Our google group list is good enough for local communications or discussions.

But I think a central place fo langage specific documentations(wiki,
presentations, ...etc) is better because most of beginers seem to
refer apache.org at first. It will be nice the documentations are
centralized and one of contents shows pointers to the lang specific
lists.

> Maybe we should start creating the Wiki CouchApp!?

It looks good! I'd like to help. M17N CouchApp is my own task.

BTW when I (or other many Japanese) visit
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/, the site shows the default moinmoin
wiki front page(*2) , not CouchDB's front page, because of browser
language settings (and MoinMoin wiki spec).
This is confusable so I'd like to fix.

(*1) http://groups.google.co.jp/group/couchdb-jp
(*2)  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/%E3%83%95%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88%E3%83%9A%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8

--
Yohei SASAKI
http://www.yssk22.info/

Posted by Daniel Truemper <tr...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mario Scheliga <ma...@sourcegarden.de>.
Am 28.02.2010 um 02:56 schrieb Chris Anderson:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Mario Scheliga <mario@sourcegarden.de
> > wrote:
>> In other Communities they can live without language specific lists.
>> I also
>> thought about this and i guess that lists  with specific topic
>> (quality
>> assurance, documentation, Version specific, blah) would make more
>> sense. A
>> clean, searchable Web frontend ( perhaps forums) would be nice, too.
>>

> A web forum is easier to hook up to machine translation. Not that
> that's the best thing ever, but it's a lean in favor of a forum.

what alternatives are there?

mario

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mario Scheliga <ma...@sourcegarden.de>.
In other Communities they can live without language specific lists. I
also thought about this and i guess that lists  with specific topic
(quality assurance, documentation, Version specific, blah) would make
more sense. A clean, searchable Web frontend ( perhaps forums) would
be nice, too.

Posted by lenz <no...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Phil Rand <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Metin Akat <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hi from Bulgaria.

I'm almost sure that there are only 3 people (seriously) using couchdb
in Bulgaria. All 3 of us work for the same company :).
I suggest we have user-bg@couchdb.apache.org so that we can have
discussions in Bulgarian.

Of course, just joking ;)

Re: user-de@couchdb.apache.org

Posted by Volker Mische <vo...@gmail.com>.
I would subscribe, though I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I can only
second what other people have said so far.
- The danger of splitting the community.
- IT is English. Even if your English is not that good, I'm sure other
German speaking people will understand your question/request. See it as
a chance to improve your English skills :)

On the other hand, if there's really a huge amount of people it would be
a shame to force them to use different communication channels and not a
central official one.

Though my final vote is: -1

Cheers,
  Volker