Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com> on 2004/12/01 03:02:33 UTC

Re: Converting flow text to pdf

Andreas Steichardt wrote:

> We are making heavy use of flowtext in our svgs and convert them to pdf.
> Unfortunately the size of these pdfs is very huge because the text gets
> converted to vectors. Are there any plans to change that? Or maybe there is
> already a (commandline) option to take the text as it is and i missed it?

    This isn't easy.  The PDF transcoder will handle 'simple' text but
for complex SVG text it resorts to outlines.  The basic problem is
that as I understand it, it isn't easy to go from a Java GlyphVector
(which is what Batik generates) to PDF text.

Re: Converting flow text to pdf

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.

Andreas Steichardt wrote:

> any chances that this will change in the near future?

    I don't think anyone is actively working on it.  I just did
a bunch of work on the text engine of Batik, and I have a few
ideas on what could be done but I really don't know PDF that
well.

Re: Converting flow text to pdf

Posted by Andreas Steichardt <mo...@globalpark.de>.
On Wednesday 01 December 2004 03:02, Thomas DeWeese wrote:

Hi

> Andreas Steichardt wrote:
> > We are making heavy use of flowtext in our svgs and convert them to pdf.
> > Unfortunately the size of these pdfs is very huge because the text gets
> > converted to vectors. Are there any plans to change that? Or maybe there
> > is already a (commandline) option to take the text as it is and i missed
> > it?
>
>     This isn't easy.  The PDF transcoder will handle 'simple' text but
> for complex SVG text it resorts to outlines.  The basic problem is
> that as I understand it, it isn't easy to go from a Java GlyphVector
> (which is what Batik generates) to PDF text.

any chances that this will change in the near future?

Kind regards,

 Andreas Streichardt