Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Oliver Frietsch <da...@friets.ch> on 2008/06/22 11:44:17 UTC

Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?

Hello list,

I'm currently deciding whether to add a new Receiver to Apache Chainsaw
or build my own small logging viewer. As time matters, extending
Chainsaw could be the better alternative IMO.

However, I cannot get Chainsaw to compile from source at the moment. I
read the build instructions in the SVN repository, but they seem to be
out of date. Some mentioned companions seem to no longer exist. So I had
to extemporize a bit...

This is what I tried: First, I tried mvn install for Chainsaw without
doing anything before. It complained about some missing java libs (it
was easy to download and install them), and about the missing zeroconf
companion.

So, I tried mvn install for the zeroconf companion. It complained about
the missing log4j-1.2.16. I tried to download and install log4j 1.2.15,
as stated in the Chainsaw build instructions, and got this error:

[INFO] Compilation failure
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ThinkpadBenutzer\Eigene Dateien\Log4J
Workspace\z
eroconf\src\main\java\org\apache\log4j\net\ZeroConfSocketHubAppender.java:[145,4
1] cannot find symbol
symbol  : method createServerSocket(int)
location: class org.apache.log4j.net.SocketHubAppender

As there might be differences between 1.2.15 and 1.2.16, I then checked
out the latest 1.2.15 tag from SVN that I could find (/v1_2_15, there is
no 1.2.16!), and tried to build that. This is the result:

[INFO] Error executing ant tasks
Embedded error: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ThinkpadBenutzer\Eigene Dateien\Log4J
Workspace\l
og4j v1_2_15\tests\build.xml:456: Test
org.apache.log4j.nt.NTEventLogAppenderTes
t failed

So...? What could I try next? Has anybody some hints how to build
Chainsaw? Is that project still alive at all? The last release was now
more than two years ago...

Thank you,
Oliver

Re: Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?

Posted by Oliver Frietsch <da...@friets.ch>.
Update: With the "no tests" parameter for each one, I can build both the
extras companion and Chainsaw itself, but a Chainsaw run attempt later
on just gives me:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problems:
         LogManager cannot be resolved
         RepositorySelector cannot be resolved to a type

         at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI.main(LogUI.java:265)

IMO, this has nothing to do with the execution class path, so I fear
that the ant script has done something wrong...
I have updated my SVN working copies to the latest revisions.

Paul,

Paul Smith schrieb:
>> Now, while trying to build zeroconf, I'm already waiting several minutes
>> to complete the "Running
>> org.apache.log4j.net.ZeroConfSocketHubAppenderTest" step - it seems to
>> do plain nothing, but the build process is waiting for it. I'll give it
>> another hour, but I'm not very hopeful... CPU usage is low, and there is
>> no network traffic either...
>
> I have seen this happen on some computers, and appears to relate to the
> local network.  The test is sending out ZeroConf packets on the network
> and testing that the jmDNS properly gets notifications.  I should
> probably add a default wait time to that test and give up after a
> reasonable amount of time.
>
> You can skip the running of unit tests for both log4j, and
> log4j-zeroconf by using:
>
> mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true package

Thanks again, I'm certainly getting closer to a build success :-)

Anyway, I'm still not successful. The extras companion does not want to
compile either. I attached the output. Is it possible that the junit
package is missing?! I can't really believe that, as I guess that it is
used by the other packages' tests, too.

After this error, I was adventurous enough to try to build Chainsaw even
without it. Surprisingly, it seems to compile, but afterwards, the tests
- testKnownReceivers(org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.receivers.
ReceiversHelperTest) and
- testLogPanelPreferenceModelSerialization(org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.
LogPanelPreferenceModelTest)
fail.

As I'd like to add new receivers, the first error seems to render the
system totally useless for me...
Any ideas?

Tahnk you,

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
> P.S.: The chainsaw shell script is not executable by default on
> Linux. I have no knowledge of maven scripts so far, but it might be
> just a small change to include this?

The appassembler plugin for Maven does not provide that feature, which
I believe is due to the fact that Java itself cannot set that flag,
because not all O/S support the concept of executable.  Only a very
recent version of Java actually exposes an API to tell if something is
"executable" or not, yet still there's no way to set it I believe.

Details (the lacking of options) are here:

Appassembler

Paul

Re: Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?

Posted by Oliver Frietsch <da...@friets.ch>.
Paul,

It finally compiles!!! :-)
The key is the "clean" target. It has to be run once after a SVN
checkout. Before that, Chainsaw does not compile, after that it does. I
tried it on my existing Windows and a fresh Linux installation and both
showed the same effect.

Thanks a lot,

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Jun 29, 2008, at 6:55 AM, Oliver Frietsch wrote:
> Test set: org.apache.log4j.TestLogMF
> Tests run: 116, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
> 11.647 sec <<< FAILURE!
> testTraceFloat(org.apache.log4j.TestLogMF)  Time elapsed: 0.13 sec
> <<< FAILURE!
> junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: expected:<.......> but
> was:<...,...>
> 	at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:81)
> 	at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:87)
> 	at org.apache.log4j.TestLogMF.testTraceFloat(TestLogMF.java:225)
>
> testTraceDouble(org.apache.log4j.TestLogMF)  Time elapsed: 0.1 sec
> <<< FAILURE!
> junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: expected:<.......> but
> was:<...,...>
> 	at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:81)
> 	at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:87)
> 	at org.apache.log4j.TestLogMF.testTraceDouble(TestLogMF.java:237)

Looks like the actual and expected values differ due to a locale
difference in the decimal separator.  Will review, but my guess is the
LogMF implementation is right and the tests need to be improved.

> [...]
>
> 	at
> org
> .apache.log4j.chainsaw.prefs.MRUFileList.log4jMRU(MRUFileList.java:81)
> 	at
> org
> .apache
> .log4j.chainsaw.prefs.MRUFileListTest.<init>(MRUFileListTest.java:32)
> 	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native
> Method)
> 	at
> sun
> .reflect
> .NativeConstructorAccessorImpl
> .newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
> 	at
> sun
> .reflect
> .DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl
> .newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
> 	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
> 	at junit.framework.TestSuite.createTest(TestSuite.java:131)

> Test set: org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.receivers.ReceiversHelperTest
> Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.02
> sec <<< FAILURE!
> testKnownReceivers
> (org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.receivers.ReceiversHelperTest)  Time
> elapsed: 0.01 sec  <<< ERROR!
> java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem:
>
> 	at
> org
> .apache
> .log4j
> .chainsaw.receivers.ReceiversHelper.getInstance(ReceiversHelper.java:
> 95)
> 	at
> org
> .apache
> .log4j
> .chainsaw
> .receivers
> .ReceiversHelperTest.testKnownReceivers(ReceiversHelperTest.java:37)

> Test set: org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogPanelPreferenceModelTest
> Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.01
> sec <<< FAILURE!
> testLogPanelPreferenceModelSerialization
> (org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogPanelPreferenceModelTest)  Time
> elapsed: 0 sec  <<< ERROR!
> java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problems:
> 	The import org.apache.log4j.LogManager cannot be resolved
> 	The import org.apache.log4j.Logger cannot be resolved
> 	Logger cannot be resolved to a type
> 	LogManager cannot be resolved
>
> 	at
> org
> .apache
> .log4j
> .chainsaw
> .LogPanelPreferenceModel.<init>(LogPanelPreferenceModel.java:36)
> 	at
> org
> .apache
> .log4j
> .chainsaw
> .LogPanelPreferenceModelTest
> .testLogPanelPreferenceModelSerialization

Don't have a guess on this one.  Haven't been following the thread
closely.  If you haven't done so already, it would be helpful to know
the operating system and JDK being used.

Re: Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?

Posted by Oliver Frietsch <da...@friets.ch>.
Paul Smith schrieb:

>> The junit error disappeared, yet two tests fail. Output attached in
>> ZIP file...

In the extras package, TestLogMF fails. I attached the test result.

> Maven stores the detailed failures in a target subfolder.  In the
> output, it mentions:
>
> C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ThinkpadBenutzer\Eigene Dateien\Log4J
> Workspace\log4j-chainsaw-maven\target\surefire-reports
>
> containing the reports.
>
> Could you please look for the failing test class file report in this
> directory:
>
> Running org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.prefs.MRUFileListTest
> Tests run: 2, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.08 sec
> <<< FAILURE!
> Running org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.receivers.ReceiversHelperTest
> Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.01 sec
> <<< FAILURE!
> Running org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogPanelPreferenceModelTest
> Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.01 sec
> <<< FAILURE!
>
> (these ones)

Sure, attached. I got the impression that my log4j hasn't compiled
perfectly, even though it seemed so.

> If you run with '-Dmaven.test.skip=true' it should not bother running
> these tests.  Are you doing this?

Yes.

> mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true package
>
> For Chainsaw, and then you should be able to launch Chainsaw from:
>
> target/appassembler/bin/chainsaw (.bat if you're windows)

Exactly. That gave me this startup exception that I mentioned.

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

> The junit error disappeared, yet two tests fail. Output attached in
> ZIP file...

Maven stores the detailed failures in a target subfolder.  In the
output, it mentions:

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ThinkpadBenutzer\Eigene Dateien\Log4J
Workspace\log4j-chainsaw-maven\target\surefire-reports

containing the reports.

Could you please look for the failing test class file report in this
directory:

Running org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.prefs.MRUFileListTest
Tests run: 2, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.08
sec <<< FAILURE!
Running org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.receivers.ReceiversHelperTest
Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.01
sec <<< FAILURE!
Running org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogPanelPreferenceModelTest
Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.01
sec <<< FAILURE!

(these ones)

The files will show much more detail about what is failing.

> Afterwards, I ran Chainsaw with the .bat file, as stated in the
> build instructions.

If you run with '-Dmaven.test.skip=true' it should not bother running
these tests.  Are you doing this?

mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true package

For Chainsaw, and then you should be able to launch Chainsaw from:

target/appassembler/bin/chainsaw (.bat if you're windows)

> That's an interesting point. Would it currently be possible to add a
> new Receiver to Chainsaw without recompiling it, using the binary on
> the web site? That would be enough for me.

Not at this time, but it would not be difficult to modify Chainsaw to
do this.

cheers,

Paul

Re: Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?

Posted by Oliver Frietsch <da...@friets.ch>.
Hello Paul,

Paul Smith schrieb:
> I've just committed an import change to the affected class that fixes
> the issue for me in Eclipse, but doesn't really explain why it's working
> on the command line (I'm using the Maven Eclipse plugin, so it should be
> the same..).  At any rate, the Assert import that was being used
> previously is odd.  Try with an 'svn update;mvn install' on the extras
> and see if it works now.

The junit error disappeared, yet two tests fail. Output attached in ZIP
file...

>> After this error, I was adventurous enough to try to build Chainsaw
>> even without it. Surprisingly, it seems to compile, but afterwards,
>> the tests
>> - testKnownReceivers(org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.receivers.
>> ReceiversHelperTest) and
>> - testLogPanelPreferenceModelSerialization(org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.
>> LogPanelPreferenceModelTest)
>> fail.
>
> Umm, how exactly did you build/test this?  Can you attach the full 'mvn
> package' output for the Chainsaw project ?

I just went into the directory and called mvn install with the
-Dmaven.test.skip=true parameter. It compiled. Afterwards, I ran
Chainsaw with the .bat file, as stated in the build instructions.
I ran the mvn package command; the output is in the ZIP file, too.

> So, you'd like to be able to add a new Receiver class via the Plugins?

Yes. Call it a sort of abuse, but I'm writing a general logging system
for sensor networks, and using Chainsaw was planned to give me a nice
basis for displaying and managing the log messages.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Paul Smith wrote:
> At the moment, Chainsaw has it's own hard-coded
> registry of 'potential' Receivers that are known, and checks which ones
> can be loaded.  Ideally we would replace that with the standard JAR
> service provider stuff so any custom Receivers could be placed in the
> Plugin directory and be dynamically discovered (sounding a lot like OSGI
> isn't it.  Really starting to think about Chainsaw 3 now.)

Something one step less than OSGi would be the JDK 1.6+ ServiceLoader or JDK 1.5+
OpenIDE Lookup functionality (though I think there's even an older version that is
JDK 1.4+).  Here's an interesting article that describes both...

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javase/extensible/

Jake

Re: Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

> Anyway, I'm still not successful. The extras companion does not want
> to compile either. I attached the output. Is it possible that the
> junit package is missing?! I can't really believe that, as I guess
> that it is used by the other packages' tests, too.

This is bizarre.  On the command line, 'mvn clean package' works a
treat.  Inside Eclipse, I get magically the same error you have.

Posted by Oliver Frietsch <da...@friets.ch>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
On 25/06/2008, at 7:30 PM, Oliver Frietsch wrote:

> Nothing changed. Total runtime is above one hour.
> ************
>
> Paul,
>
> thanks for this hint. I believed that the trunk actually contained the
> log4j 2.0 code (where is that?).
>
> I got log4j to compile. However, I had to grab the
> NTEventLogAppender.dll from the prebuilt log4j-1.2.15 to my Windows
> system directory to pass all unit tests. Can this "hack" be further
> improved?

Ooh, that's something I haven't seen.  Because I'm using a Mac I don't
think it tries that.  More on unit tests shortly.

> Now, while trying to build zeroconf, I'm already waiting several
> minutes
> to complete the "Running
> org.apache.log4j.net.ZeroConfSocketHubAppenderTest" step - it seems to
> do plain nothing, but the build process is waiting for it. I'll give
> it
> another hour, but I'm not very hopeful... CPU usage is low, and
> there is
> no network traffic either...

I have seen this happen on some computers, and appears to relate to
the local network.  The test is sending out ZeroConf packets on the
network and testing that the jmDNS properly gets notifications.  I
should probably add a default wait time to that test and give up after
a reasonable amount of time.

You can skip the running of unit tests for both log4j, and log4j-
zeroconf by using:

mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true package

Obviously it would be nice to have all the unit tests running locally,
but I can say that for log4j-zeronconf they pass locally.  When things
are working ok locally that test takes about a second to complete.

BTW, log4j 2.0 is only in experimental design phase, it has it's own
branch at the moment.  Once the design gains traction it'll more than
likely move to trunk, with trunk->1.2 branch (again.. :) ).

cheers,

Paul

Re: Up-to-date build instructions for Apache chainsaw?

Posted by Oliver Frietsch <da...@friets.ch>.

Posted by Oliver Frietsch <da...@friets.ch>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.