Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> on 2009/11/09 15:55:06 UTC

Re: Insanity. Apache Incubator should be about education (was: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion)

Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> Yes, *AND* ensuring legal dots are put on the i's and j's. This is
> done through checking the release and ensuring that it is in adherence
> to our policies which you and others have crafted. *All* podlings have
> to ensure they have the correct licensing headers, notices and other
> bits in place before they can graduate.
>
> AFAIK releases done by podlings are legally more sound than
> established projects at Apache. Do you consider that a bad thing?
> What strikes me is that because the SVN project has many old boys
> network guys on board, somehow the policy to what all podlings are
> subjected to is no longer valid?

I don't disagree to checking the legal bits and pieces. But what I read
up to now, in the other thread, was more to the tune of checking release
quality and procedures. I got stuck on the "quality" part; I for one
will not sign off a Subversion release if I know it's broken, and
apparently the legal bits can be verified in other ways.

Clearly it's up to the Incubator PMC and/or Mentors to decide what does
or does not make sense here. If "make a proper release" is indeed the
verdict, then Subversion will remain incubating for several months at
least. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does leave a strange
taste in the mouth, especially given how much effort we've already put
in running our project according to ASF standards.

Oh and by the way, ranting about old-boys networks was pretty much the
last thing I expected to read on this list. Is the meritocracy blues all
nonsense then? Just askin' ...

-- Brane, not an ASF member