Posted to dev@warble.apache.org by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> on 2018/09/08 00:20:52 UTC

Mentors and committer list

Hi,

I was taking a look at why your project only seems to have one mentor and it seems that the initial list of PPMC and mentors have not been correctly set up. [1] Whimsy list one mentor and only 4 PPMC members. [2]

Could one of the PPMC members please fix that, or if something has changed (that the IPMC needs to know about) please add that to your report and/or email general@incubator.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://incubator.apache.org/projects/nemo.html
2. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/warble

Re: Mentors and committer list

Posted by Chris Thistlethwaite <ch...@apache.org>.
ack, I'll put that on my calendar. We're hoping to get some things
moving soon and have more exciting reports.

Thanks!

-Chris T.

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Thistlethwaite <ch...@apache.org>.
Makes sense, I can ask around and see if we can find an additional
mentor.

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Welcome to the ASF? It’s currently policy AFAIK but I’ll sort it out on the general@ list.

> I hope this gets cleared up for future podlings. As a start, the report request email could probably be tweaked to also include new podlings that have to report every month.

Yes I’ll update the policy page to be in line with the other (assuming no objection form IPMC) and I’ll check that new podlings have the monthly flag set.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Mentors and committer list

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 09/11/2018 01:25 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I haven't been able to find any mention of this in the incubator policy documents when I read them
>
> It’s stated here [1] "Currently new Podlings report to the Incubator monthly for the first three months, then quarterly thereafter."

Gotcha, thanks for the link. I'm going to still object to the way the
incubator has confusing policies where one overlaps the other with
seemingly no reference. It's not fun to be thinking you read the policy
and followed it, and then later to be told you didn't actually follow
policy because here's an addendum that we forgot to reference, but which
may or may not be current policy. I hope this gets cleared up for future

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 09/11/2018 12:58 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> So we do only have one mentor (I didn't know there was a requirement
>> of  multiple mentors).
>
> What happen if your only mentor is missing for a bit or gets busy? It also going to be harder to get IPMC votes on releases.
>
>> As for the PPMC members that are missing from
>> whimsy, I'm still waiting on ICLAs from folks. I hope to have them
>> onboard soon or I'll remove them from the list.
>
> Great, thanks for that - it would be good to put that in your report.
>
> We also have to deal with the missing reports i.e. New podling need to report monthly for the first 3 months.

I would think that that befalls the IPMC to educate the podlings on and
keep track of. I haven't been able to find any mention of this in the
incubator policy documents when I read them back then, or when I re-read
them just now, nor have we gotten any requests for reports prior to
September, as evident from the list archives. The incubation policy states;

"Each Podling in Incubation SHALL undergo a regular review of progress
by the Incubator PMC. Such reviews SHALL occur at least quarterly. The
Incubator PMC MAY, at their discretion, choose to review individual
Podlings with greater frequency"

If this isn't so for the first three months, it should perhaps be
emphasized in the policy.

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Thistlethwaite <ch...@apache.org>.
Hey Justin,

So we do only have one mentor (I didn't know there was a requirement
of  multiple mentors). As for the PPMC members that are missing from