Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/29 08:20:12 UTC

Fwd: Accepting proposals regarding early git adoption

FYI

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks JB for the link!

I cannot see any advantages to early adopt Git as long we can use git-svn
on Apache. Did I miss or misunderstood anything?

Best,
Christian

Re: Accepting proposals regarding early git adoption

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Christian,

I'm using Git over SVN. The impact is not so high (but we have to update
the POM around the scm entries, release tag, etc).

Here is some interesting blog:
http://markmcb.com/2008/10/18/3-reasons-to-switch-to-git-from-subversion/
http://dev-heaven.net/projects/20/wiki/Git_vs_SVN_comparison
http://thinkvitamin.com/code/why-you-should-switch-from-subversion-to-git/
http://serverfault.com/questions/62603/git-vs-subversion-pros-and-cons

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Accepting proposals regarding early git adoption

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

Posted by Toni Menzel <to...@okidokiteam.com>.
No submodules please. Qi4j used them and i know they are not happy with it,
just complicating things for interested people. Anyway, room for discussion
after grad.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Toni Menzel <to...@okidokiteam.com>.
That was not a recommendation but lightweight hint to followers not
following other apache lists. For ACE currently within graduation process
its of cause not recommended. Just may be it affects release strategies
just because that was a topic in recent days.
Just keep git in mind. Its coming. No doubt ;)

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Marcel Offermans <

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by Bram de Kruijff <bd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Brind <ch...@gmail.com>.
Exactly.

Having used git a fair amount I can't see why a repo per module is required.

The advantages of git over svn are many (but slowly diminishing as svn
catches up). I would recommend it, but only if it is the right time
for the project, which I can't comment on.

Cheers
Chris

Sent from iPhone

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by Chris Brind <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
First of all, as long as we're in the incubator, we are probably not the best candidate for experimenting with Git.

What I don't understand is why we would need to create 60 repositories? Where does it say that each repository can only contain one single artifact? Mind you, I'm no Git expert, so please explain.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Toni Menzel <to...@okidokiteam.com>.