Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Nathan Harvey <na...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/02 03:45:19 UTC

Start a forum - continued

Once again I would like to bring up the idea of starting a forum using
Discourse. In particular, I would like to highlight some of the features
Discourse offers that are relevant to the mailing list, for those concerned
about making the switch:

- Supports replying to conversations and PMs via email out of the box
- Can be configured to allow starting conversations and private messages
via email
- Support SSO via numerous providers, so no need to create a separate
account

Discourse inherits all of the functionality of the mailing list (some
assembly required), and on top of that offers all the modern features you
would expect from a forum. It's free and it's open source. The Discourse
team will even offer free hosting and setup for open source projects like
Groovy. Many other projects like Kotlin utilize this system.

As for the problem of having "too many channels to manage" it would be
feasible to set up the forums to alert mailing list users that a new topic
has been started. This would help bridge the gap between the two platforms.

Many community members I have talked to would like a forum. If you agree,
please make your voice heard by responding. There is one problem left to
tackle with a forum, and that is Apache policy. According to Paul King,
"apache mandates the use of their own mailing lists for all official
discussions" although having a forum is of course allowed. To have an
official forum, we'd need "Apache approval" which presents "significant
obstacles."

In my mind, this makes the path forward obvious: we need a public forum,
but it NEEDS support from higher-ups on the Groovy team as well. It needs
to be advertised and linked to from the groovy site and things of that
nature. It should be pushed as much as possible. Otherwise, it seems nearly
pointless. Once again I think this can only happen with a large amount of
support from the community, so please chime in.

Re: Start a forum - continued

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
To be honest, I won't be monitoring the forum, as 1) there's enough to read
and interact with here, and 2) it's not what Apache recommends.
So if ever someone wants to setup an unofficial forum (I'm not against it),
it should send emails to the lists somehow and receive emails too, if you
want us to see them.

--
Guillaume Laforge

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts>

Re: Start a forum - continued

Re: Start a forum - continued - Discourse forum example

Posted by Roger Pfister <ro...@rogerpf.com>.
On 2018-01-06 11:57, Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> Is there somewhere an example for this? And mailing lists I can look
> at and a discourse forum that is synced with it?

http://discuss.dramatica.com/ <http://discuss.dramatica.com/> (a
software package site 'dramatica' - concetrating on Screen Writers)

Is a discourse powered forum which you as a user can configure to be
email list like - I am a passive user so am not that qualified to judge.

It does show the forum side of "discourse" to good effect.

--
Roger

Re: Start a forum - continued

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
On 02.01.2018 04:45, Nathan Harvey wrote:
> Once again I would like to bring up the idea of starting a forum using
> Discourse. In particular, I would like to highlight some of the features
> Discourse offers that are relevant to the mailing list [...]

Is there somewhere an example for this? And mailing lists I can look at
and a discourse forum that is synced with it? I think seeing that in
action would give a much better picture than all the description you
could possibly provide

bye Jochen

Re: Start a forum - continued

Posted by Nathan Harvey <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jochen, I would like to once again stress the flow you can expect with
Discourse. You sign up one time, and check a box that you want to receive
emails. You will receive emails for every new post, and you can reply
straight from email. In this it is exactly like a mailing list and would
integrate with your workflow perfectly, while offering the option to use a
feature rich forum for those who want it. Conversations can take place
entirely within emails. Remember, this forum software was developed by
people who are used to mailing lists, and they take this behavior into
account.

Having the forum send something to the mailing list would just help promote
the forum, it is not meant for users to be able to interact with. I think
actually a weekly digest sent to the mailing list would be better.

You can read more about Discourse's policies on free hosting for open source
projects here:
https://blog.discourse.org/2016/03/free-discourse-forum-hosting-for-community-friendly-github-projects/

Re: Start a forum - continued

Posted by Nathan Harvey <na...@gmail.com>.
I personally use Nabble. It does not compare to a real forum system. The
formatting constantly breaks, you can't mention users, embed media, embed
code... the list goes on and on.

Re: Start a forum - continued

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
By the way, let's not forget we already have a forum that works with our
mailing-lists: ie. the Nabble forum!
See at the bottom of the page the integration:

Re: Start a forum - continued

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.