Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com> on 2006/08/29 02:39:08 UTC

Generic Checkin

Hi All

I'm having difficulty committing all the files in a top level
directory/working folder and its subfolders and their files just by
traversing to the working folder's top folder and executing the following:

c:\>cd workingFolder
c:\workingFolder>svn ci * -m "comment"

Is this not the correct syntax?  Help please.  Thanks.

Re: Generic Checkin

Posted by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for your help.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Re: Generic Checkin

Posted by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Generic Checkin

Posted by Troy Curtis Jr <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Generic Checkin

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On 30 Aug 2006, at 14:25, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2006, at 14:58, Jeremy Pereira wrote:
>
>> On 29 Aug 2006, at 03:39, Res Pons wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having difficulty committing all the files in a top level
>>> directory/working folder and its subfolders and their files just
>>> by traversing to the working folder's top folder and executing
>>> the following:
>>>
>>> c:\>cd workingFolder
>>> c:\workingFolder>svn ci * -m "comment"
>>>
>>> Is this not the correct syntax?  Help please.  Thanks.
>>
>> No, it's not.  The file list needs to be after the -m switch:
>>
>> svn ci -m "comment" *
>
> Well, that's not true -- Subversion is very forgiving about the
> order of the command-line arguments. Both your way and Res's way
> accomplish the same thing.
>

>> It's also unnecessary since an empty file list is assumed to mean "*"
>
> Consequences of this are the real reason Res was having problems,
> as discussed in previous replies.

I do apologise, maybe I'm confusing svn and cvs :-)

However, my test did bail out because it found an unversioned
directory, so * is not the same as the empty file list, which is
logical since it is expanded before svn sees the arguments..

jeremyp@miranda:mp6502 $svn status
X      defs
M      make-docs.sh

Performing status on external item at 'defs'
jeremyp@miranda:mp6502 $svn ci * -m "Testing order of arguments"
svn: '/Users/jeremyp/dev/mp6502/build' is not a working copy
jeremyp@miranda:mp6502 $svn ci -m "Testing order of arguments"
Sending        make-docs.sh
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 584.

(The directory "build" is in the svn:ignore prop for the current
directory which is why it didn't show up in the svn status)

Re: Generic Checkin

Posted by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks guys for all your help.

Re: Generic Checkin