Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bill Vance <pr...@xpresso.seaslug.org> on 2012/05/30 14:06:36 UTC

[users@httpd] Build problem

Howdy;

I'm new to the list, so this may allready be
addressed somewhere.  Basically, I', trying
to put the sources for apache2 and php,
etc., together, and I seem to be having some
heavy wading.  1st off, I seem to have to
go searching for every last part and piece
of a project that by all accounts should have
a site or two where everything is available
for picking and choosing.  Oh well, enough
griping.

The main problem of the moment, is APR-Util.
After a bit of searchoong around, I finally
found, "apr-util-1.3.9+dfsg".  I'm not sure
what the, "dfsg", is, but I figured I'd find
out from the docs.  Unfortunately, I'm not
by any stretch of the imagination, a, "C",
programmer.  Near as I can tell, "C", stands
for, "Cuneiform".  Consequently, when presented
with error messages like the following, I'm
at a complete loss.

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `crypto/apr_md5.c',
needed by `crypto/apr_md5.lo'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
 /usr/local/src/httpd-2.4.2/apr-util-1.3.9+dfsg'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Anyone know how to fix this?

TIA;

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] Build problem

Posted by Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>.
On May 30, 2012 17:28 , Bill Vance <pr...@xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:
> Actually I'm running KUbuntu 10.04, Lucid Lunatic, or Lynx, or
> whatever that stupid name is, on an i386-32  One of the problems
> here are utils like apt-get, aptitude, and synaptic, etc.

So load a fresh KUbuntu system -- at this point, I think you may have
made enough changes to your current system that it might be difficult to
get things to work -- and then do a web search for "apache kubuntu".
Here are some of the top search results, which seem to have simple,
straightforward instructions for your particular situation:

http://phpweby.com/node/21
https://rockmanx.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/installing-ubuntus-apache2-local-webserver/

> They
> work real good if you only want to deal with .deb archives, but
> don't seem to leave much in the way of a program directory behind
> them, which some things require for working with them.

I don't understand this statement at all.  Program directory?  Require
for working with them?  Normally you'd install a package and get some
configuration files and startup scripts under /etc, some binaries under
/usr/bin and /usr/sbin, and web pages under /var/www.  Customize your
config file (set the server name, etc.), drop in your content or web
application under /var/www, start the service, and you're up and running.

> Actually I just tried your pre-package suggestion, and PHP5 started
> complaining about deprecated, "#"'s on line 0 in it's /etc/* files,
> and apache2 quit working at all.

This isn't enough information to help you.  You don't say which one
pre-packaged Apache+PHP distribution you picked, how you installed it,
what changes you made, nor what you tried that resulted in PHP complaining.

In any event, now that we know you're running on KUbuntu, I'd recommend
not downloading a separate non-Ubuntu LAMP stack, but instead using what
Kubuntu provides -- it's the easiest and most standard thing to do in
your specific situation.

Also, take things in stages:  get Apache HTTP Server set up and serving
static content first, then try getting PHP running.  If you have trouble
with PHP inside the web server, then try running a PHP script from the
command line -- if you can't get PHP to run from the command line, it
will never run from inside the web server.

But, again, I suspect that you likely have several things that are
messed up on your system from your previous attempts at installing and
getting things working.  Start over with a fresh KUbuntu installation if
possible.  If it's not possible to reload the system you've been working
on, consider setting up a VM guest system in which to experiment and
learn and get things working, which you can reload as many times as needed.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org

Re: [users@httpd] Build problem

Posted by Bill Vance <pr...@xpresso.seaslug.org>.
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 08:54:32AM -0400, Mark Montague wrote:
>Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 08:54:32 -0400
>From: Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>
>Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Build problem
>
>On May 30, 2012 8:06 , Bill Vance <pr...@xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:
>>I'm new to the list, so this may allready be
>>addressed somewhere.  Basically, I', trying
>>to put the sources for apache2 and php,
>>etc., together, and I seem to be having some
>>heavy wading.
>
>Do you have a reason to want to build from source?  For example, as a
>learning exercise, or because you will be modifying the code, or
>because you are using a very esoteric hardware platform?

Well it seems to be the way everyones been discussing how to do it,
what with aspx being AWOL or whatever.  That plus whenever I get
things working, there's a bunch of other stuff I want to add, as well.

>If the answer is "no", consider getting both Apache and PHP pre-built
>from someone who has built it already for you -- preferably, your OS
>distributor (for example, if you are running a Red Hat Linux based
>OS, run the command "sudo yum install httpd php" to get everything),
>or a trusted group who provide a pre-packaged stack that contains
>both Apache and PHP ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apache%E2%80%93MySQL%E2%80%93PHP_packages
>).

Actually I'm running KUbuntu 10.04, Lucid Lunatic, or Lynx, or
whatever that stupid name is, on an i386-32  One of the problems
here are utils like apt-get, aptitude, and synaptic, etc.  They
work real good if you only want to deal with .deb archives, but
don't seem to leave much in the way of a program directory behind
them, which some things require for working with them.

>Either way -- whether you get httpd and php pre-packaged or build it
>yourself -- it would be helpful to know what OS you're using.

Actually I just tried your pre-package suggestion, and PHP5
started complaining about deprecated, "#"'s on line 0 in it's /etc/*
files, and apache2 quit working at all.

I'll give it another go with your further suggestions below, and
see what happens.

Posted by Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>.
On May 30, 2012 18:14 , Bill Vance <pr...@xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:

> Well, I tried it, but ./configure died with:
>
> checking for tm_gmtoff in struct tm... yes
>    adding "-DAPR_DTRACE_PROVIDER" to CPPFLAGS
> configure: error: 'DTrace Support in the build
> system is not complete. Patches Welcome!'
>
> Ok, so now what do I do?

If you don't need to build from source, don't.  Install the packages via
apt-get instead, preferably on a freshly loaded system.  See the message
I just sent about this.

If you are going to continue to try to build from source, I also
recommend starting over with a fresh install of KUbuntu, as I think you
may have changed enough things to result in the error message above.
The reasons I say this are:

- I've recently built httpd 2.4.2 myself under Fedora 16 just this past
weekend and did not encounter this error (and KUbuntu should not be very
different).  I've also just now successfully run configure under MacOS
10.7.3 without encountering the problem you describe.

- I've checked the contents of the configure script, and the only way
you should ever see the above message is if you invoked configure with
the --enable-trace option.  Since you say you just ran "./configure"
(without any command line options, right?), this points to something
being fundamentally messed up on your system; it'll be easier to start
over fresh in a known state than to try and find and fix whatever is broken.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org

Re: [users@httpd] Build problem

Posted by Bill Vance <pr...@xpresso.seaslug.org>.

Posted by Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>.

Posted by Michael Streeter <ms...@gmail.com>.
On 05/30/2012 07:06 AM, Bill Vance wrote:
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `crypto/apr_md5.c',
> needed by `crypto/apr_md5.lo'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory
>   /usr/local/src/httpd-2.4.2/apr-util-1.3.9+dfsg'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Hello,

It looks like you are trying to build against an old version of
apr-util.  Try apr-1.4.6 and apr-util-1.4.1.

http://apr.apache.org/download.cgi

Hope that helps,
-Mike

[users@httpd] Re: Build problem