Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Don Hitchcock <as...@westnet.com.au> on 2004/10/25 14:35:37 UTC

Starting Cocoon as a windows service

Hi there

Is there any info that can show me how to start cocoon as a windows service

Cheers

Don

Kind regards

Don Hitchcock

Managing Director

Advanced Spatial technologies Pty Ltd

Facilities Management Solutions
autodesk' authorised systems centre - AutoCAD / ISD
Suite 1, 78 Mill Point Road, South Perth WA 6151
Ph: (618) 9367-2888 Fax: (618) 9367-2899

 <http://www.advancedspatial.com.au> www.advancedspatial.com.au

 <http://www.caddwest.com.au> www.caddwest.com.au

Re: Starting Cocoon as a windows service

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Upayavira wrote:
> Tony Collen wrote:
>
>> Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> What you really need to do is to start your servlet container as a
>>> windows
>>> system service.  I don't know if any of them provide support for
>>> that, but
>>> if not, you should be able to implement a C/C++ win32 program to do
>>> that.
>>

>> Tomcat will install and run as a service, which is really handy.  Use
>> TC5 for faster startup/restart times.
>>
>> If you want to run something else, like Jetty, as a service, there are
>> Windows utilities that run apps as a service.  Just Google around.
>

> In fact, Jetty comes with a tool for doing just this. It may well come
> in the Jetty-extra package, not sure. It is in the extra\win32 folder
> called Wrapper.exe. Don't know the licence on it, but you can use it to
> start any Java app as a service.

in fact the wrapper.exe shipped with Jetty is a [1]Java Service Wrapper
by TanukiSoftware which can wrap any java application as win32 service.

	lg
[1] http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/introduction.html

--
Leszek Gawron                                   lgawron@mobilebox.pl

Re: Starting Cocoon as a windows service

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> What you really need to do is to start your servlet container as a
>> windows
>> system service.  I don't know if any of them provide support for
>> that, but
>> if not, you should be able to implement a C/C++ win32 program to do
>> that.
>

> Tomcat will install and run as a service, which is really handy.  Use
> TC5 for faster startup/restart times.
>
> If you want to run something else, like Jetty, as a service, there are
> Windows utilities that run apps as a service.  Just Google around.

In fact, Jetty comes with a tool for doing just this. It may well come
in the Jetty-extra package, not sure. It is in the extra\win32 folder
called Wrapper.exe. Don't know the licence on it, but you can use it to
start any Java app as a service.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Starting Cocoon as a windows service

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Ralph Goers wrote:
> What you really need to do is to start your servlet container as a windows
> system service.  I don't know if any of them provide support for that, but
> if not, you should be able to implement a C/C++ win32 program to do that.

Tomcat will install and run as a service, which is really handy.  Use
TC5 for faster startup/restart times.

If you want to run something else, like Jetty, as a service, there are
Windows utilities that run apps as a service.  Just Google around.

Tony

Re: Starting Cocoon as a windows service

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
What you really need to do is to start your servlet container as a windows
system service.  I don't know if any of them provide support for that, but
if not, you should be able to implement a C/C++ win32 program to do that.

Ralph