Posted to user@hive.apache.org by sreejesh s <sr...@yahoo.com> on 2015/06/02 08:02:19 UTC

HIve Joins vs Pig Joins

Hi,
I have read couple of articles that say pig joins perform better compared to Hive joins... Is that true ? if Yes could you please explain the reason.
Thanks

Re: HIve Joins vs Pig Joins

Posted by DU DU <wi...@gmail.com>.
Are Tez, CBO, and ORC are considered in this. With so much efforts invested
to Hive especially from Hortonworks and Cloudera, I think Hive will have
the future, such as Hive over spark and so on.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 12:06 AM, Ritesh Kumar Singh <
riteshoneinamillion@gmail.com> wrote:

> Check this paper :
> Pig-Hive benchmarks
> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ba-pigvhive/pighivebenchmarking.pdf>
>
> Discusses these things in details.
>
> Cheers,
> Ritesh
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM, sreejesh s <sr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have read couple of articles that say pig joins perform better compared
>> to Hive joins... Is that true ? if Yes could you please explain the reason.
>>
>> Thanks

Will

Re: HIve Joins vs Pig Joins

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
These results are fairly old.  Both Hive and Pig have changed
significantly since then.  Many of Hive's internal operators have been
rewritten.  Both can now run over Tez or Spark.  So at this point it's
hard to say which is better.  The best option is to develop some tests
based on your use case and try both to see which works best for you.

Alan.

Re: HIve Joins vs Pig Joins

Posted by Ritesh Kumar Singh <ri...@gmail.com>.
Check this paper :