Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/14 05:03:52 UTC

Apache and the OpenJDK

Do you think the announcement that the JDK will be GPL will affect
Apache's policy towards LGPL components like Hibernate at all?  What
if Hibernate's LGPL license has the same classpath exception that
OpenJDK has?

Matt

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Apache and the OpenJDK

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 11/13/06, Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you think the announcement that the JDK will be GPL will affect
> Apache's policy towards LGPL components like Hibernate at all?  What
> if Hibernate's LGPL license has the same classpath exception that
> OpenJDK has?

I don't think it will cause any change in policy towards the LGPL.

As I understand it the ASF position is that Apache products should not
depend on components that a license that is more restrictive than the
ASL -- classpath exception doesn't change that.

- Dave

RE: Apache and the OpenJDK

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Do you think the announcement that the JDK will be GPL will affect
> Apache's policy towards LGPL components like Hibernate at all?

Not at all.

> What if Hibernate's LGPL license has the same classpath exception
> that OpenJDK has?

GPL + Exception is a disallowed license.  Sun's licensing regime, except for CDDL, is not acceptable for ASF dependencies as per the Third Party Licensing Policy.

	--- Noel