Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Aseem Monga <a....@mpstechnologies.com> on 2007/05/21 14:33:21 UTC

To use Cocoon or not: Pls Suggest

We have to develop a batch process application for generating some part of
webiste content statically before hand, that can be served to the Users
directly. This requires a multi step processing of the Source input content,
which is in XML format, confining to a DTD.

The Fact that it requires multi step processing, forced us to think about
using Cocoon

The Pipeline structure can be used, where we will have to code different
types of Generators for doing the processing, like generating the Citations
pages, TOC, RSS feeds etc. Then the pipelines can be linked one after
another for the multi step processing, using the Cocoon protocol. Can we
have a pipeline with just a generator, which depends on output of another
pipeline.

Please suggest whether Cocoon will be a good choice for the same?

Also I could not find any book written in past 2 years on the subject, the
best one available prior to that was XML Applications with Cocoon. Please
guide us on this too. As is evident that the documentation on the site is
too scattered, and features of Cocoon are too much for a beginner to get
started with :-)

Thanks in Advance

Aseem Monga

Senior Software Engineer,

HCL Technologies Ltd,

STP-II, Infocity, Sec-34,

Gurgaon, HR.

Mail:  <ma...@hcl.in> aseemm@hcl.in

Re: To use Cocoon or not: Pls Suggest

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
Aseem

In general, Cocoon can handle the type of application you are looking
at.

Two issues:
"Can we have a pipeline with just a generator, which depends on
output of another pipeline." - no and yes.
A pipeline must always have a serializer - the results must "go"
somewhere - even if its a straightforward XML serializer that does
not alter the data stream at all.  And yes, pipelines can (and often
are) chained - plenty of posts on this topic.

Books?  None recent, AFAIK.  The market seems to be  too
limited.  However, the ones available cover all of the basics and
are perfectly adequate to get started on the learning curve.  The
online docs should be fine to supplement these and bring you more
up-to-date.  Scattered?  There is the official site + the wiki - where
else? And the community is one of the best.!

>>> "Aseem Monga" <a....@mpstechnologies.com> 2007/05/21 02:33 PM

 We have to develop a batch process application for generating some
part of webiste content statically before hand, that can be served to
the Users directly. This requires a multi step processing of the Source
input content, which is in XML format, confining to a DTD. The Fact that
it requires multi step processing, forced us to think about using Cocoon
The Pipeline structure can be used, where we will have to code different
types of Generators for doing the processing, like generating the
Citations pages, TOC, RSS feeds etc. Then the pipelines can be linked
one after another for the multi step processing, using the Cocoon
protocol. Can we have a pipeline with just a generator, which depends on
output of another pipeline. Please suggest whether Cocoon will be a good
choice for the same? Also I could not find any book written in past 2
years on the subject, the best one available prior to that was XML
Applications with Cocoon. Please guide us on this too. As is evident
that the documentation on the site is too scattered, and features of
Cocoon are too much for a beginner to get started with J  Thanks in
Advance Aseem MongaSenior Software Engineer,HCL Technologies Ltd,STP-II,
Infocity, Sec-34,Gurgaon, HR.Mail: aseemm@hcl.in

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions