Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/11/06 10:08:38 UTC

Clerezza report for November

Hi,

FYI I've created a report at
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/November2012based on the recent
"future of Clerezza" discussion, text below.

Feedback/additions/changes are welcome, I'm planning to sign the report off
tomorrow.

-Bertrand

** report text **
Clerezza is a framework and set of components designed to make it easy to
build applications for the semantic and the social web.

Although Clerezza could technically graduate, activity has been very low
and diminishing
since 2010, especially regarding the content management components. The
reusable RDF libraries
are used in Stanbol for example and see slightly more activity.

We've started a discussion about the future of Clerezza, with a proposal to
move those reusable
libraries to another project, probably Stanbol, and terminate incubation of
the other components.

The goal is to have a decision on this within a few days.

Re: Clerezza report for November

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
thanks Bertrand, that looks good to me.
Tommaso

Posted by Hasan Hasan <ha...@trialox.org>.
We have several projects built on top of apache clerezza. We only "use"
apache clerezza
and almost make no changes on it. We do have low activity in apache
clerezza, but not
if seen from its application.
Thus, if apache clerezza cannot be kept where it is, we (trialox) have to
find a place to move
the codes elsewhere. That's the reason of me writing the email before.

Cheers
Hasan

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Hasan,

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Clerezza report for November

Posted by Hasan Hasan <ha...@trialox.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 08/11/12 08:48, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Fabian Christ
> <ch...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/11/8 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>:
>>> ... the
>>> existing code can remain available, maybe at http://attic.apache.org/
>>
>> What about the released artifacts in Maven central? Will they also remain there?
>
> IMO, yes, I don't see a reason to remove them.
>
> -Bertrand

(mentally going through the details and consequences ...)

It's good to have the existing released artifacts remain - what about
after the donation?

Presumably the moved modules will be released by the new host - will
they use group id org.apache.clerezza? or move to the new host project
group id?  I'd suggest renaming the group to the new project but realise
it is a bit more disruptive - so maybe eventually.  The new project will
need to discuss how to incorporate it (haven't gone to find that
discussion yet).

	Andy

Re: Clerezza report for November

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Daniel Spicar <da...@trialox.org> wrote:
> It is not really designated what belongs to the CMS part and what belongs
> to the reusable RDF libraries...

Note that, assuming we go on with the plan of donating the reusable
modules to another project and retiring Clerezza as a podling, the
existing code can remain available, maybe at http://attic.apache.org/

So, if we start with a few donated modules and the target project
later wants more, they can just grab that code from wherever we'll
archive it, and go on from there.

-Bertrand

Re: Clerezza report for November

Posted by Daniel Spicar <da...@trialox.org>.
Hi,

It is not really designated what belongs to the CMS part and what belongs
to the reusable RDF libraries. Generally all modules that start with
(org.apache.clerezza.)platform.* probably belong to the CMS part. In the
document you linked the reusable RDF libraries probably are what is
described as 'Smart Content Binding' mainly. Those are mostly the modules
starting with  (org.apache.clerezza.)rdf.*. But could include other
utilities as well depending on whether they are used by other projects and
can be used without the platform modules.

Daniel

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.