Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Alexander Tsvetkov <al...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/17 08:43:41 UTC

[LANG] Adding isEmpty and isNotEmpty methods to ObjectUtils

Hi all,

First of all, apologies if I have messed something up - this is my first
attempt at contributing to Apache.

With that said, I'd like to propose adding two new methods to Commons
Lang's ObjectUtils class:
  - isEmpty()
  - isNotEmpty()

These would check whether the object is empty (or not empty respectively)
based on its type:
  - CharSequence - Considered empty if its length is zero.
  - Array - Considered empty if its length is zero.
  - Collection - Considered empty if it has zero elements.
  - Map - Considered empty if it has zero key-value mappings.
The object would be considered "not-empty" if its type is not one of the
types mentioned above.

There is an already existing method that does exactly this in Spring's
ObjectUtils (see
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework/blob/2ac23badee02697c5eb87c46f955387b32a0d581/spring-core/src/main/java/org/springframework/util/ObjectUtils.java#L134),
but I think it would be helpful to people (myself and my team included) if
there was a similar method in Commons Lang's ObjectUtils. That way we
wouldn't have to add a dependency to Spring or re-implement the method in
our code base.

What do you think?

I've opened a JIRA ticket and a GitHub pull request as well:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1411
https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/342

Best regards,
Alexander

Re: [LANG] Adding isEmpty and isNotEmpty methods to ObjectUtils

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I must admit to playing a bit of devil's advocate here ;-) with my laundry
list of sizeable kind of objects but I am sure you get my point: As soon as
we add a method like this, the we will get requests for adding more to it
release after release. I'm not against it, but it make you wonder about
adding a Sizeable interface ;-)

Gary

Posted by Alexander Tsvetkov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Alexander,

Am Fr., 17. Aug. 2018 um 15:09 Uhr schrieb Alexander Tsvetkov <
alexander.tsvetkov.93@gmail.com>:

> Hi Benedikt,
>
> Yes, ObjectUtils.isEmpty(null) would return true. You can review the pull
> request (https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/342) if you'd like to
> see the entire implementation in its current state.

LGTM, but I like to work until after the release of Lang 3.8 before we
apply this changes. So I'll probably merge your changes on Sunday or Monday.

Regards,
Benedikt

Posted by Alexander Tsvetkov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benedikt,