Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> on 2001/06/30 01:15:19 UTC

APR != HTTPD :) (Was: Re: problem with mod_webapp)

Ian Holsman at ianh@cnet.com wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2001 11:53:47 -0700, Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:28:46AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>>> I guess I'd see what Subversion does - do they
>>> require an "installed" APR, or do they ask for the location of the
>>> source?  -- justin
>>>
>> Subversion requires apr source to be present in subversion/apr.
>
> should we be creating a 'apr-config' ala gtk-config???
> (just imagining a system with HTTP & subversion and 2 APRs)

I don't know what gtk-config is, but for the webapp module under Apache 2.0
I was thinking about linking it directly to the httpd binary (David told me
last week he's doing something like it in Beos).

I was just wondering if there was the possibility to copy APR_VARS in the
2.0 APXS, might save a lot of headaches...

    Pier

Re: APR != HTTPD :) (Was: Re: problem with mod_webapp)

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 12:20:31AM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> > Why?  If we have shared libraries available can't it just use those?  I
mean
> > at present I'm not sure apache can, so this whole area needs some
looking at
> > yet.
>
> The constant problem on tomcat-dev (and maybe tomcat-user, I don't
> subscribe to that) is that people keep running into problems with MM.
> mod_webapp is the only program, AFAIK, where APR is expected to be
> installed rather than build from the source.
>
> On most Unix-based platforms, APR requires MM (included in the APR
> source/tree), but does not include it in libapr.la - you need to also
> link against it.  The problem is that this is only noted in APRVARS -
> which isn't installed by APR - it only lives in the source dirs.

Well, longer term we plan to axe MM so this problem will probably cure
itself :)  That's the hope anyways.

david

Re: APR != HTTPD :) (Was: Re: problem with mod_webapp)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 12:20:31AM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> Why?  If we have shared libraries available can't it just use those?  I mean
> at present I'm not sure apache can, so this whole area needs some looking at
> yet.

The constant problem on tomcat-dev (and maybe tomcat-user, I don't
subscribe to that) is that people keep running into problems with MM.
mod_webapp is the only program, AFAIK, where APR is expected to be
installed rather than build from the source.

On most Unix-based platforms, APR requires MM (included in the APR
source/tree), but does not include it in libapr.la - you need to also
link against it.  The problem is that this is only noted in APRVARS -
which isn't installed by APR - it only lives in the source dirs.

I kind of think that the only solution to this is to use something
similar to apxs - which is strikingly similar to gtk-config et al -
and even more "helpful" as it defines your compiler, etc, etc.  There
just isn't any standard way of specifying external dependencies that
APR programs should expect.  -- justin

Re: APR != HTTPD :) (Was: Re: problem with mod_webapp)

Posted by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net>.
On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 12:20:31AM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> > Ian Holsman at ianh@cnet.com wrote:

> Why?  If we have shared libraries available can't it just use those?  I mean
> at present I'm not sure apache can, so this whole area needs some looking at
> yet.
Not yet unfortunately, although this is planned once apr stabilizes a bit.
It is mostly to ensure that when people cvs up subversion, they get apr up to
date as well.

> If you're building subversion on the same system as apache can you tell
> either apache or subversion where to look for the source?  ISTR this is
> something we've talked about for apache before now. AFAIK not done anything
> about it yet.

Likewise not yet, which is a real pain since the subversion server actually
requires apache 2.0.

Kevin Pilch-Bisson                    http://www.pilch-bisson.net
     "Historically speaking, the presences of wheels in Unix
     has never precluded their reinvention." - Larry Wall

Re: APR != HTTPD :) (Was: Re: problem with mod_webapp)

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
> Ian Holsman at ianh@cnet.com wrote:

> >> Subversion requires apr source to be present in subversion/apr.

Why?  If we have shared libraries available can't it just use those?  I mean
at present I'm not sure apache can, so this whole area needs some looking at
yet.

If you're building subversion on the same system as apache can you tell
either apache or subversion where to look for the source?  ISTR this is
something we've talked about for apache before now. AFAIK not done anything
about it yet.

> > should we be creating a 'apr-config' ala gtk-config???
> > (just imagining a system with HTTP & subversion and 2 APRs)

Yuck!

> I don't know what gtk-config is, but for the webapp module under Apache
2.0
> I was thinking about linking it directly to the httpd binary (David told
me
> last week he's doing something like it in Beos).

Yep, for DSO's and I think Victor does something similar for AIX.

> I was just wondering if there was the possibility to copy APR_VARS in the
> 2.0 APXS, might save a lot of headaches...

This should be looked into as APXS is a useful tool but will likely need
some serious modifications :)

david