Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Petr Zalesky <pz...@inferscience.com> on 2014/11/15 17:04:27 UTC

Chest pain absent. - polarity

I have been investigating how polarity on a sign/symptom gets set and ran
into interesting issue. If a physician's note in a history of present
illness (HPI) says something like:

“Absence of chest pain.”

“Denied chest pain.”

“Chest pain resolved.”

Then cTAKES picks up the term "chest pain", assigns it the correct SNOMED
codes and sets the polarity to -1.  However, some of the de-identified
samples say:

"Chest pain absent."

In this case it is also picked up by cTAKES but in this case the polarity
is set to positive one (1).  I have been trying to figure out if there is a
way to configure cTAKES to detect that.  Any suggestions?

Re: Chest pain absent. - polarity

Posted by Petr Zalesky <pz...@inferscience.com>.
Pei,

Thank you for your prompt response.  I downloaded the current released
binary about a week ago from http://ctakes.apache.org/downloads.cgi
(apache-ctakes-3.2.0-bin.tar.gz) so it would be the 3.2.0.  I will try the
3.2.1-rc1/trunk to see if it is makes any difference.

Best,

Petr

--
Petr Zalesky
CTO

Re: Chest pain absent. - polarity

Posted by Petr Zalesky <pz...@inferscience.com>.
Pei,

Thank you for your response.  I got all the dev tools and checked out and
built ctakes from here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/tags/ctakes-3.2.1-rc1/, updated the
various places with my umls credentials and ran two sentences using CVD and
the AggregatePlainUMLSProcessor:

"Absence of chest pain." yields negative polarity
"Chest pain absent." yields positive polarity (see the attached screen
shot).

Would you mind pointing me to instructions on how to "train" ctakes to pick
up my example?

Thank you for your help.

Posted by Pei Chen <ch...@apache.org>.
Petr,