Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Adnan <ns...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/24 13:43:40 UTC

Re: SparkPi performance-3 cluster standalone mode

Hi,

Relatively new on spark and have tried running SparkPi example on a
standalone 12 core three machine cluster. What I'm failing to understand is,
that running this example with a single slice gives better performance as
compared to using 12 slices. Same was the case when I was using parallelize
function. The time is scaling almost linearly with adding each slice. Please
let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. The code snippet is given below:

Regards,

Ahsan Ijaz

Re: SparkPi performance-3 cluster standalone mode

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
The problem is that SparkPi uses Math.random(), which is a synchronized method, so it can’t scale to multiple cores. In fact it will be slower on multiple cores due to lock contention. Try another example and you’ll see better scaling. I think we’ll have to update SparkPi to create a new Random in each task to avoid this.

Matei