Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by korbben <ko...@yahoo.fr> on 2006/03/23 12:10:49 UTC

Better Linux Distribution for production environment

Hi all,
Which Linux distribution can i choose for production environment ? (server:
4go ram, 1 processor, Apache, MySql, Tomcat with 20 webapps).
Thanks.
Korbben.

Re: Better Linux Distribution for production environment

Posted by Alex Turner <ar...@gmail.com>.
I used to use RedHat, but switched to SuSe as the package selection was more
up to date.  RedHat seems to lag seriously behind current versions of
software, and many third party apps require the latest and greatest, which
RedHat often doesn't provide in it's enterprise solution.  Is RedHat tested
better, perhaps, but it doesn't matter if it doesn't come with what I need.

Alex

Posted by Oded Arbel <od...@geek.co.il>.
On Thursday, 23 בMarch 2006 13:32, korbben wrote:
> Thanks Peter, we have most experience in Fedora Core 1b, but is it a
> good distribution for production ?
> We use Fedora only for intranet server, but now for a extranet
> server, whith maximal security and stability, Fedora is recommended ?

As peter mentioned, and I'll stipulate - every distro can be made to be
secure (enough) fairly easily if you are familiar with it, and probably
no distro will be secured enough if you have no idea what you're doing.

If you have experience with Fedora, then go with that. On a general
principal I would recommend going with a more recent version, such as
Fedora Core 4 on the premise that it has less security issues due to
being more up to date, but if you make sure to apply all security
updates and upgrade packages that are EOLed, then you should be ok,
regardless of which distro you choose.

--
Oded

::..
Famous Last words 143-"Here kitty, kitty, kitty..."

Re: Better Linux Distribution for production environment

Posted by Barry Roberts <bl...@www.robertsr.us>.
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:32:35AM -0800, korbben wrote:

> Thanks Peter, we have most experience in Fedora Core 1b, but is it a good
> distribution for production ?

Because of its age, I would say there are better alternatives.

> We use Fedora only for intranet server, but now for a extranet server, whith
> maximal security and stability, Fedora is recommended ?

Fedore is meant to be bleeding edge, and its release policy doesn't
match my idea of what I would like for a stable production server.

But if you're familiar with Fedora, any of the RedHat-based distro's
(I like CentOS: http://centos.org) would be quite familiar to you
also.  It doesn't make me as nervous to do a 'yum upgrade' on a
production CentOS box as it would with Fedora.  Generally RedHat fixes
bugs (sometimes with back-ports of bug fixes instead of new versions)
and vulnerabilities in their updates, and that's all.  Fedora
frequently includes new versions in updates that could require
re-testing applications.

Also, if you ever did need top-notch support you could buy it for
CentOS, or a switch to RedHat would be trivial.  Sometimes that can be
important to the suits.

My $.02

Barry Roberts

RE: Better Linux Distribution for production environment