Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Svetak Sundhar via dev <de...@beam.apache.org> on 2023/06/29 16:20:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] Enable Github Discussions?

Hi all,

I wanted to start a discussion to gauge interest on enabling Github
Discussions <https://docs.github.com/en/discussions/quickstart> in Apache
Beam.

Pros:

+ GH Discussions allows for folks to get unblocked on small/medium
implementation blocker (Google employees can often get this help by
scheduling a call with teammates whereas there is a larger barrier for
non-Google employees to get this help).

+ On the above point, more visibility into the development blockers that
others have previously faced.

+ GH Discussions is more discoverable and approachable for new users and
contributors.

Cons:

- When using both the dev list and GH Discussions, context can be
confusing.

- Anything else?

To be clear, I’m not advocating that we move off of the dev list. I propose
that over time we keep dev@ to vote on releases, and discuss the future of
Beam. GH Discussions would simply serve as a forum for troubleshooting, and
discussing smaller scale issues.

I am aware that the Airflow project [1] uses both GH Discussions today and
a dev@ list [2] today.

[1] https://github.com/apache/airflow/discussions

[2] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@airflow.apache.org

Svetak Sundhar