Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2015/09/28 00:10:08 UTC

Someone wants to help with the JBoss IDE plugin?

So it's on http://freemarker.org/contribute.html, but...

- I just want to emphasize that it's quite important for the success
  of the project. People need to edit the templates with something,
  and efficiently. For you convenience, the pending Jira issues:
  https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-20512?jql=project%20%3D%20JBIDE%20AND%20status%20in%20%28Open%2C%20%22Coding%20In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Pull%20Request%20Sent%22%29%20AND%20component%20%3D%20freemarker

- You can help even if you aren't into Eclipse plugin development! A
  problem is currently that the release of the plugin seems to be
  bound to the release of the JBoss Tools project which is very
  infrequent for our purpose. Maybe the fixes should just be
  back-ported into the previous JBoss Tools branch too solve that, and
  that's not done, but I really don't know. In any case, currently,
  FreeMarker IDE release cycles are way too slow [*]. A solution for
  this should be figured out, and discussed with the JBoss Tools guys.
  Like, just as an example, maybe we should set up our own plugin
  update site, and do the builds ourselves, but then legal issues has
  to be considered, and if that could interfere with the JBoss Tools
  installation of the users.

*: For example, I have asked to increase the FreeMarker version in
   2.3.23. And sure it was done in the repo quickly (thanks to Denis
   Golovin who has also squashed several FreeMarker IDE bugs), but
   it's scheduled for JBoss Tools 4.4.0. That, I guess, is about 12
   months away! Until that, FreeMarker IDE won't handle the new
   features of 2.3.23, which was released months ago. Or, FreeMarker
   IDE was pretty much unusably broken in 4.2.0. Months ago, it was
   fixed, and now its quite usable. Big difference. But for most user
   that will only become visible in 4.3.0, which is has only entered
   CR1 state not very long ago. Now, it all could be kind of OK, if
   there were JBoss IDE dependencies in FreeMarker IDE, or the other
   way around, but as far as I see there's pretty much none. So
   technically FreeMarker IDE could be released independently.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Someone wants to help with the JBoss IDE plugin?

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Just wanted to point out again that it would be a big help for
FreeMarker if someone helps out with the JBoss IDE. It's a good place
to contribute to, as it doesn't require deep FreeMarker knowledge.

The current open issues are:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-20512?jql=project%20%3D%20JBIDE%20AND%20status%20in%20%28Open%2C%20%22Coding%20In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Pull%20Request%20Sent%22%29%20AND%20component%20%3D%20freemarker

There are easy yet important ones like
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-20491, where it's more about
taking the time to make the pull request, sign whatever need to be
signed at JBoss, look after if when it gets into a publicly available
build, etc. Some other issues are more challenging to fix, if someone
prefers that.

 Daniel Dekany

---

Re: Someone wants to help with the JBoss IDE plugin?

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 09/28/2015 12:10 AM, Daniel Dekany wrote:
> So it's on http://freemarker.org/contribute.html, but...
>
> - I just want to emphasize that it's quite important for the success
>    of the project. People need to edit the templates with something,
>    and efficiently. For you convenience, the pending Jira issues:
>    https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-20512?jql=project%20%3D%20JBIDE%20AND%20status%20in%20%28Open%2C%20%22Coding%20In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Pull%20Request%20Sent%22%29%20AND%20component%20%3D%20freemarker
>
> - You can help even if you aren't into Eclipse plugin development! A
>    problem is currently that the release of the plugin seems to be
>    bound to the release of the JBoss Tools project which is very
>    infrequent for our purpose. Maybe the fixes should just be
>    back-ported into the previous JBoss Tools branch too solve that, and
>    that's not done, but I really don't know. In any case, currently,
>    FreeMarker IDE release cycles are way too slow [*]. A solution for
>    this should be figured out, and discussed with the JBoss Tools guys.
>    Like, just as an example, maybe we should set up our own plugin
>    update site, and do the builds ourselves, but then legal issues has
>    to be considered, and if that could interfere with the JBoss Tools
>    installation of the users.
>
> *: For example, I have asked to increase the FreeMarker version in
>     2.3.23. And sure it was done in the repo quickly (thanks to Denis
>     Golovin who has also squashed several FreeMarker IDE bugs), but
>     it's scheduled for JBoss Tools 4.4.0. That, I guess, is about 12
>     months away! Until that, FreeMarker IDE won't handle the new
>     features of 2.3.23, which was released months ago. Or, FreeMarker
>     IDE was pretty much unusably broken in 4.2.0. Months ago, it was
>     fixed, and now its quite usable. Big difference. But for most user
>     that will only become visible in 4.3.0, which is has only entered
>     CR1 state not very long ago. Now, it all could be kind of OK, if
>     there were JBoss IDE dependencies in FreeMarker IDE, or the other
>     way around, but as far as I see there's pretty much none. So
>     technically FreeMarker IDE could be released independently.

I have asked my colleague Max who is responsible of the JBoss IDE and he
says:

+++
He could just post to jbosstools-dev and submit PRs and volunteer to
maintain it.

We have nightly builds he can use today - don't have to wait 12 months.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen
+++

I hope it helps

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: Someone wants to help with the JBoss IDE plugin?

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Sunday, April 10, 2016, 2:16:04 AM, Max Andersen wrote:

> I don't see the mail. What's the subject line ?

It's "[jbosstools-dev] Any way to make FreeMarker IDE fixes avilable
with less delay?".

Posted by Max Andersen <ma...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.