Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> on 2004/03/05 02:41:33 UTC

Problem installing 4.1.30

I tried to install Tomcat 4.1.30 for my friend this afternoon. He has a Win98SE
machine.

I create the environment variables JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME via msconfig as follows:
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30
set JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.1_02

Then, I tried executing startup.bat but got "out of space" errors. I found those explained in the RUNNING document so I changed the initial space for both startup.bat and shutdown.bat to 4096 in their properties. Rather than helping, I actually got *more* errors, including:
- JAVA_HOME not correctly specified
- "out of environment space" [10-12 times]
- a complaint about the D-JavaSpecificDirs [or something similar]
- another error I can't recall now.

For what it's worth, I also tried setting JAVA_HOME to c:\j2sdk1.4.1_02\bin but that didn't help.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going wrong? I never had any problems installing Tomcat and making the startup.bat work, even the first time I installed it a couple of years ago and knew nothing about Tomcat....

The only guess I've got is that my friend's PC is just too old and slow. It is a Pentium-100 with 64 MB of memory. I couldn't find any hardware requirements for running Tomcat though so I don't know if that is my problem.

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"If you're getting something for nothing, you're not using your own credit card."