Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by Patrick Begou <Pa...@hmg.inpg.fr> on 2012/11/29 17:45:41 UTC

Strange echo with openmeeting

When we are using openmeeting in the same area (two separate buildings on the
same campus) all is working fine. But I'm using openmeeting from France with
somebody in North America and I've very strange echo problems: When I speak, 2
or 3 seconds later I'm listening myself in a strong echo. Checking "reduce echo"
in adobe flash player popup do not change anything.
Using some other webconferencing solution like vidyo do not show the problem.

Do you have any idea about this strange problem ?

Thanks for your advices,

Patrick

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         | http://most.hmg.inpg.fr          |
|  Patrick BEGOU           |       ------------               |
|  LEGI                    | mailto:Patrick.Begou@hmg.inpg.fr |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35               |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71               |

Re: Strange echo with openmeeting

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Patrick,
The other side should turn mic off when not speaking, or use a speakerphone.

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Headsets may be incorrectly configured. E.g. while they are plugged
in, in fact notebook dynamics & internal microphone are used.

Posted by George Kirkham <gk...@co2crc.com.au>.
Patrick,

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Patrick,
You are correct, increased delay may be caused by insufficient bandwidth.

Posted by Patrick Begou <Pa...@hmg.inpg.fr>.
Before falling back into my problems, let me wish you an happy new years and all
my gratitude for the help you provide on this forum.

I'm still having this "echo problem" but during these holidays I get some new
tests and observations which, may be, could be useful to solve this problem.

First:
When we ran some tests in the same building, without any head-set, with the same
PCs all was working fine. There was no echo.

Second:
I had a long discussion using openmeeting with my colleague and I notice several
details:
- the delay between my speech and the echo increase during the session
- the ofset between the video and the voice increase during the session (I see
my colleague speaking and many seconds later I hear his voice)

I've seen that Openmeeting do not require a large bandwith on the network, and
my openmeeting server has a dedicated ethernet connection for openmeeting but
could this problem be related to a network bandwith or is the echo responsible
for the increasing delay ?

Thanks for all your advices.

Posted by Patrick Begou <Pa...@hmg.inpg.fr>.
We have tested a different headset but with the same echo problem. The remote
user will try to find an USB headset for a new test soon.
When I close the microphone of the remote user, the problem does not exist
anymore, so it is related to his macbook or accessories.

Thanks all for your suggestions, we are still working to find a solution.

Posted by George Kirkham <gk...@co2crc.com.au>.
Patrick,

I have been plagued by echo issues when using OpenMeetings, it is usually not too bad for 1:1 use but group conferences in has been unusable, so this is a particular issue of interest to me. Only when I cannot get all participants to use AEC enabled speakerphones and headphones.  When the use the correct equipment, it is just great.  I have a laptop that has no hardware echo cancellation, and can make just about any system have echo.  Maybe I can do some testing with you at some time, if you want ( my timezone is GMT +10).

What model Apple Laptop? What sound equipment have they plugged into the Apple Laptop?  Do they have external speakers? Or are they using internal speakers?  Is only one person using the Apple laptop or are there multiple people at that end? If there is only one person, it would be easier to get them to try using a headset (headphones + inbuilt microphone).

Are the people using the Apple Laptop the only people who are using OpenMeetings where they are (i.e. in the room they are in).

You could be correct, there may be another issue, caused by the very long distance. I am located in Australia, what distance would you be from myself compared to the Apple Laptop?  " New York to Paris at 3660 miles ?", " Australia to France is 9,472 miles ?" so if the delay was the issue, then our testing should prove this. I do apologise, I can only speak English, I hope this is not an issue for you.

Vidyo does have AEC, OpenMeetings currently does not.
http://support.beingthere.com.au/entries/65416-how-to-fix-echo

Thanks,

George Kirkham

Posted by Patrick Begou <Pa...@hmg.inpg.fr>.