Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/20 07:13:55 UTC

[all] Standardized Manifest For Commons JARs

I've been working on a project to help catalog the JARs that we use and the
concomitant licenses that they employ so that we can more easily comply with
sections 4a and 4c of the APL without having to do a lot work to compile the
license information.  I thought at first this would be fairly simple to do,
given that all of the Commons projects (that we use) have manifests.
However, I soon discovered that the manifests have a variety of different
attributes and aren't really standardized.

I was wondering if it would be possible in the next release(s) if the leads
for the projects could modify the manifests (or the ant/maven builds that
generated them) to include the following information:

License Type: APL
License Version: 2.0
License URL: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt

or

License URL: /license.txt
if you've included the license file in the jar file.

This would help us insure that we're providing the appropriate license
information when distributing Apache libraries with our code.

Regards,

Mark Fortner

Re: [all] Standardized Manifest For Commons JARs

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately the license files aren't named consistently, and aren't always
included in the library.  Some projects use LICENSE, others License, others
still use License.txt.  Having a single license URL attribute which can
either be resolved to a local license, or a remote license seemed to make
the most sense.  Either that, or standardize all of the manifest entries.
:-)  But I'm trying to shoot for low-hanging fruit at the moment.

Mark

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.