Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2009/02/12 04:01:04 UTC

Maven 2.x and 3 build comparisons

Does any tool exist that can build a project in Maven 2 and Maven 3
and then compare the binaries to see if they are equal? Assuming v3 is
fully backwards compatible with v2, I hope there would be only
superficial differences.

Paul

Re: Maven 2.x and 3 build comparisons

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Or, if you have a windows box, use WinMerge with the 7zip add-in

It will allow easy comparison of war, jar and ear files... and you can
dive down to see if the class files are the same (even if the date
stamps are different)

-Stephen

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
Might not the "help:effective-pom" plugin/goal be used to validate
some of these automatically?  Especially if there remains a canonical
form for the pom.  As long as this (or another) plugin can get
logically equivalent, you can use xquery or xpath statements to
validate that what appears in one appears in the other.

Christian.

On 12-Feb-09, at 08:49 , Paul Benedict wrote:

> Oleg, thank you for volunteering. j/k
>
> My only concern is that building a project successfully does not
> guarantee backwards compatibility. Things like property resolution,
> etc. need to either be eye balled or loaded into an application to
> show it works or bombs.
>
> Binaries, sure, maybe that's overkill. But if I can compare the
> target/war-output directory between two builds, that would help :-)
>
> Paul
>
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Jason van Zyl
> <jv...@sonatype.com> wrote:
>> On 11-Feb-09, at 10:28 PM, Oleg Gusakov wrote:
>>
>>> I have a tool that compares resolved dependency lists between
>>> Mercury and
>>> Maven2, not binaries. Will not be hard to modify to add binary
>>> comparison.
>>>

>> There you go, Oleg will check  them for you :-)

Christian Edward Gruber
christianedwardgruber@gmail.com

Re: Maven 2.x and 3 build comparisons

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 11-Feb-09, at 10:28 PM, Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> I have a tool that compares resolved dependency lists between
> Mercury and Maven2, not binaries. Will not be hard to modify to add
> binary comparison.

There you go, Oleg will check  them for you :-)

> Paul Benedict wrote:
>> Does any tool exist that can build a project in Maven 2 and Maven 3
>> and then compare the binaries to see if they are equal? Assuming v3
>> is
>> fully backwards compatible with v2, I hope there would be only
>> superficial differences.
>>
>> Paul

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

   -- Jakob Burckhardt

Re: Maven 2.x and 3 build comparisons

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
I don't think I'll be making any byte for byte exactly guarantees but
as we progress I am going to try and ensure backward compatibility
insofar as behavior. Plugins will work the same apart from plugins
that use components from maven-artifact. We'll be using Mercury for
that and for any plugins here that are here will be ported and
anything popular like the Jetty plugin. People who have implemented
their own plugins using the artifact components will need to make the
same changes we will here.

But I build 5-6 projects all the time with Maven 3.x without any
change to the underlying plugins. There are however going to be
changes to the plugin api that people will be able to take advantage
of if they want their plugins to work well in incremental environments
like Eclipse. But that will be optional for those that care. Igor has
made changes to the plexus, modello, plugin api, and resources plugins
to work in an incremental mode inside m2e to provide near
instantaneous execution.

As we approach publicly consumable alphas I'll have a lot more to say.

On 11-Feb-09, at 10:01 PM, Paul Benedict wrote:

> Does any tool exist that can build a project in Maven 2 and Maven 3
> and then compare the binaries to see if they are equal? Assuming v3 is
> fully backwards compatible with v2, I hope there would be only
> superficial differences.
>
> Paul

Jason

Jason van Zyl