Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by alexander dosher <al...@pacbell.net> on 2006/08/01 00:38:04 UTC

[users@httpd] can't get mod_ext_filter to work

the simplest possible setup, excerpted from httpd.conf:

LoadModule ext_filter_module modules/mod_ext_filter.so

[...]

ExtFilterDefine testFilter mode=output cmd="echo foo"

<Directory "E:/www/httpd/htdocs">
     Options Indexes
     AllowOverride None

     Order deny,allow
     Allow from 63.195.38.230 127.0.0.1

     ExtFilterOptions LogStderr DebugLevel=2
     SetOutputFilter testFilter
</Directory>

...results in the log entry

[error] [client 63.195.38.230] couldn't find definition of filter
'testfilter'

any ideas?

TIA,

alex.

Re: [users@httpd] can't get mod_ext_filter to work

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 7/31/06, alexander dosher <al...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> the simplest possible setup, excerpted from httpd.conf:
>
> LoadModule ext_filter_module modules/mod_ext_filter.so
>
> [...]
>
> ExtFilterDefine testFilter mode=output cmd="echo foo"
>
> <Directory "E:/www/httpd/htdocs">
>      Options Indexes
>      AllowOverride None
>
>      Order deny,allow
>      Allow from 63.195.38.230 127.0.0.1
>
>      ExtFilterOptions LogStderr DebugLevel=2
>      SetOutputFilter testFilter
> </Directory>
>
> ...results in the log entry
>
> [error] [client 63.195.38.230] couldn't find definition of filter
> 'testfilter'

Perhaps you used ExtFilterDefine in a vhost context? This isn't
allowed for some reason, and configtest doesn't complain about it.

Also, your Allow from is redundant as "Order deny,allow" means allow by default.

--
noodl

Re: [users@httpd] Re: can't get mod_ext_filter to work

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/06, alexander dosher <al...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >> And, since this won't work, can anybody recommend a simple output text
> >> find/replace module that's available as a WinXP binary?
> >
> > It might help for you to explain the nature of the  problem you're
> > trying to solve, rather than what's not working about what you've
> > tried.
>
> OK: I'm using httpd to virtual-host Lotus Domino & Tomcat servers on the
> same machine, and for the "allow from" directive, which is nifty.  The
> version of Domino i'm being forced to use shoves an antique !DOCTYPE tag
> at the top of all of its html, which forces MSIE into ugly compatibility
> mode, and... yuck.
>
> So, for all docs of type text/html from the Domino vhost, i want to
> replace the first line with a more modern !DOCTYPE tag.  And, ideally,
> i'd like to do this without having to set up a complete C development
> environment (haven't touched C in years) with all necessary includes in
> order to compile something like mod_line_edit.
>
> possible?

I'm afraid I've no idea about windows. You could always ask the author
of mod_line_edit to provide a compiled binary.

--
noodl (looking over his shoulder for niq)

[users@httpd] Re: can't get mod_ext_filter to work

Posted by alexander dosher <al...@pacbell.net>.
>> And, since this won't work, can anybody recommend a simple output text
>> find/replace module that's available as a WinXP binary?
>
> It might help for you to explain the nature of the  problem you're
> trying to solve, rather than what's not working about what you've
> tried.

OK: I'm using httpd to virtual-host Lotus Domino & Tomcat servers on the
same machine, and for the "allow from" directive, which is nifty.  The
version of Domino i'm being forced to use shoves an antique !DOCTYPE tag
at the top of all of its html, which forces MSIE into ugly compatibility
mode, and... yuck.

So, for all docs of type text/html from the Domino vhost, i want to
replace the first line with a more modern !DOCTYPE tag.  And, ideally,
i'd like to do this without having to set up a complete C development
environment (haven't touched C in years) with all necessary includes in
order to compile something like mod_line_edit.

possible?

--alex.

[users@httpd] Re: can't get mod_ext_filter to work

Posted by alexander dosher <al...@pacbell.net>.
> "apachectl configtest", sorry typo. Also, have you tried specifying
> the ExtFilterDefine in the main server context and using
> SetOutputFilter in your vhost?

yes.  same behavior.

--alex.

Re: Re: [users@httpd] Re: can't get mod_ext_filter to work

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/06, alexander dosher <al...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > Perhaps you used ExtFilterDefine in a vhost context? This isn't
> > allowed for some reason, and configtest doesn't complain about it.
> Yes, a vhost is where i need to use it, so no sense pursuing it further
> i suppose. I'm new to the httpd community - is it worth filing this as a
> doc bug?

This isn't a doc bug as the docs for ExtFilterDefine specify "server
config" as the context. It might be considered a bug that config
doesn't complain though.

> And, since this won't work, can anybody recommend a simple output text
> find/replace module that's available as a WinXP binary?

It might help for you to explain the nature of the  problem you're
trying to solve, rather than what's not working about what you've
tried.

> > Also, your Allow from is redundant as "Order deny,allow" means allow by default.
> oopsie.  thanks!

k :)

--
noodl