Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Archana Turaga <ar...@intervoice.com> on 2004/01/20 01:19:36 UTC

build question---please help

Hi,
 I have my own portal application with it's own library files and jsp files. To understand jetspeed i just built the tutorial and hacked that structure to include my portal specific information. Now i want to create a build.xml that will work with ant to create my own portal war.
I cannot follow the tutorial build.xml because it goes in three steps there
i) Deploy(this will simply replicate the jetspeed.war)
ii)Start tomcat ..This will explode the war into a directory structure.
iii) Then hot deploy so that it copies all the tutorial specific information to exploded structure under tomcat.
Also the tutorial does not have it's own library files. I have my own libraries that i want to use.

Questions:
1) Do i have to then look at jetspeed's(the jetspeed source) build file to come up with my build.xml?
2) Instead of exploding the jetspeed jar to \web-inf\classes can i just include this like a library jar in the web-inf\lib?
3) If step 2 is valid then can i only take all the files that are missing in the jar file from the jetspeed directory and deploy them into the file structure of my custom portal? for e.g. the .properties files are not present in the jar file. Can i just copy this property files from jetspeed directory into the my own portal's space ,merge the properties and then build my own war file?
4) What are the recommended methods of source maintainence of custom portals? Does the jetspeed source also need to be maintained or the binaries and property files are enough?

Please help me. I have been trying to figure out the best way to formalise the steps of source maintainence. Therefore all the developers of the portlets can use this structure to check-in and check-out source.

Thanks in advance for your time and patience,
Archana

No real way to deploy portlets?

Posted by "webhiker@tiscali.fr" <we...@tiscali.fr>.
Sorry if this question is missing something huge. I'm investigating
several portal frameworks, and with Jetspeed, I cannot find
any production orientated way to deploy portlets..
By this I mean excluding having to restart Tomcat, which is not really
an option in any normal operating environment.
I've seen some vague references in mailing lists to hot class loading,
so I'm assuming this is a close as I'll get?
Specifically is there any support, planned or existing, for deploying
portlets as war, ear or jar files?

Many thanks.
WH

AW: build question---please help

Posted by Danny <da...@mms-dresden.de>.
We do it that way#:
-take the jetspeed.war
-explode it to tomcat
-replace all modified stuff with ours (we copy it in via ant tasks)
-that works, and you can easily replace the .war by a newer one

Hope that helps.

Danny