Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Maarten Boekhold <bo...@gmx.com> on 2016/03/31 09:52:26 UTC

DSL for Lanterna

Hi all,

I wanted to experiment a bit with creating DSLs, so I decided to try to
write a DSL for Lanterna: https://github.com/mabe02/lanterna. I know the
Griffon team already has a DSL for that, but that can't be used
standalone, so...

In case anybody is interested, I've posted my work sofar to
https://github.com/boekhold/lanterna-terminal-builder. The single test
case class should give a good overview of what it is current capable of.

Maarten

Re: DSL for Lanterna

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
On 03.04.2016 09:24, Maarten Boekhold wrote:
> Hi Jochen,
>
> Thanks for taking a look. About that license stuff, I must admit that
> I'm quite ignorant about all that, which is why I haven't added a
> license file yet.
>
> I realize this isn't a groovy-related topic, but what would be a good
> license if I want to be as permissive as possible? And what exactly does
> it mean when you say "rules it out for any Apache software"? Does it
> mean that programs that use Lanterna cannot be released under an ASL
> license? Or just that they cannot be released under the name of the
> Apache Software Foundation?

Short answer:
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x and this is a thing
of the foundation.

Longer answer:
It is no problem using Apache licensed software in (L)GPL software, but
the other way around gets a bit more complicated. You can make your
software apache licensed, but
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-3.0#section4 point d) will still apply:
You would have to distribute the source code together with the program
and the ability to relink the program with a modified version of the
library or use a shared library mechanism that allows the replacement.
That's a restriction the Apache License does not impose, thus you cannot
expect a larger work to use your library and assume apache terms apply
to everything, thus the ASF rules that out.

bye Jochen

Re: DSL for Lanterna

Re: DSL for Lanterna

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.