Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2023/02/19 14:11:06 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.6

The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.6 release is now available for
voting.

The notable changes compared to 10.1.5 are:

- Switch to using the ServiceLoader mechanism to load the custom URL
   protocol handlers that Tomcat uses.

- Update the packaged version of the Apache Tomcat Native Library to
   2.0.3 to pick up the Windows binaries built with with OpenSSL 3.0.8.

- Add the shared address space specified by RFC 6598 (100.64.0.0/10)
   to the list of trusted proxies for RemoteIPValve/Filter.

- Limit access to examples web application to localhost by default

For full details, see the change log:
https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html

Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10
without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier
may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat
will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the
webapps directory.

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.6/

The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1421

The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.6
9829c929059f96605a3fb870700b5887970d7203

The proposed 10.1.6 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.6

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.6

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 20.02.23 um 12:41 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> On 20/02/2023 11:30, Felix Schumacher wrote:
>> The source tar seem to be missing two files, that might be important:
>>   res/META-INF/catalina.jar/services/java.net.spi.URLStreamHandlerProvider
>>
>>   res/META-INF/tomcat-embed-core.jar/services/java.net.spi.URLStreamHandlerProvider
>>

> I see those files in both the src.zip and src.tar.gz files.

Yes, sorry, I just looked at the rsync diff and assumed they were
missing. They are NOT, but the line endings seem to be different, which
should be no real problem.

Thanks for checking and sorry for the confusion.

Felix

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 19.02.23 um 15:11 schrieb Christopher Schultz:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.6 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.1.5 are:
>
> - Switch to using the ServiceLoader mechanism to load the custom URL
>   protocol handlers that Tomcat uses.
>
> - Update the packaged version of the Apache Tomcat Native Library to
>   2.0.3 to pick up the Windows binaries built with with OpenSSL 3.0.8.
>
> - Add the shared address space specified by RFC 6598 (100.64.0.0/10)
>   to the list of trusted proxies for RemoteIPValve/Filter.
>
> - Limit access to examples web application to localhost by default
>

> For full details, see the change log:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat
> 10 without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and
> earlier may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory
> and Tomcat will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them
> to the webapps directory.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.6/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1421
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.6
> 9829c929059f96605a3fb870700b5887970d7203
>
> The proposed 10.1.6 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [x] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.6

* Builds and tests run under Linux

* gpg and sha512 sums are valid

The source tar seem to be missing two files, that might be important:
  res/META-INF/catalina.jar/services/java.net.spi.URLStreamHandlerProvider
  res/META-INF/tomcat-embed-core.jar/services/java.net.spi.URLStreamHandlerProvider

(I accidentally tested the new IP filter for examples, that works :))

Felix

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.6

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1 markt, fschumacher, isapir, schultz, kkolinko

Non-binding:
+1 lihan, Dimitris Soumis

The vote therefore passes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed toward this release.

-chris

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
вс, 19 февр. 2023 г. в 17:11, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.6 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.1.5 are:
>
> - Switch to using the ServiceLoader mechanism to load the custom URL
>    protocol handlers that Tomcat uses.
>
> - Update the packaged version of the Apache Tomcat Native Library to
>    2.0.3 to pick up the Windows binaries built with with OpenSSL 3.0.8.
>
> - Add the shared address space specified by RFC 6598 (100.64.0.0/10)
>    to the list of trusted proxies for RemoteIPValve/Filter.
>
> - Limit access to examples web application to localhost by default
and documentation

> For full details, see the change log:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10
> without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier
> may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat
> will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the
> webapps directory.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.6/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1421
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.6
> 9829c929059f96605a3fb870700b5887970d7203
>
> The proposed 10.1.6 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [x] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.6

Smoke tests OK with Java 11.0.18.
Unit tests OK, all connectors (NIO, NIO2), with or without Tomcat
Native, with Java 11.0.18.
on Windows 10.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.6

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

> Mark,
>
> On 2/20/23 08:27, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> You'll probably need to change the default ephemeral (dynamic in MS
>> speak) port range to avoid issues with port exhaustion.
>>
>> I'm using:
>>
>> netsh int ipv4 set dynamicport tcp start=1025 num=64511
>>
>> I suspect running out of ports is causing odd errors.
>
> I have waved my magic wand and spoken the incantation. We'll see if it
> runs to completion :)

Looks like not:

     [junit] Tests run: 2304, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time
elapsed: 170.185 sec, Thread: 2, Class:
jakarta.servlet.http.TestHttpServletDoHeadValidWrite1025

And the whole unit test suite stops there.

Things are working on Linux, though.

-chris

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 2/20/23 08:27, Mark Thomas wrote:
> You'll probably need to change the default ephemeral (dynamic in MS
> speak) port range to avoid issues with port exhaustion.
>
> I'm using:
>
> netsh int ipv4 set dynamicport tcp start=1025 num=64511
>
> I suspect running out of ports is causing odd errors.

I have waved my magic wand and spoken the incantation. We'll see if it
runs to completion :)

Thanks,
-chris

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Konstantin,

On 2/20/23 08:43, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> пн, 20 февр. 2023 г. в 16:16, Christopher Schultz
> <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I'm getting a failure on
>> jakarta.servlet.http.TestHttpServletDoHeadValidWrite0.NIO on Windows
>>
>> Looks like 11 failures all of the form:
>>
>>     Failed to delete at least one file
>>
>> I'm assuming that this is a spurious error, but the test keeps failing
>> at that point and stopping, despite having test.haltonfailure=false in
>> my build.properties file.
>>
>> When running ant test-status, I get only 4 tests shown under "test
>> suites with failed tests" and nothing showing elsewhere. A very small
>> number of other TEST-*.txt files exist in the logs/ directory.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Is it a virtual machine?

Yes, this is Windows 11 running within VirtualBox on MacOS Ventura, all
on x86-64 hardware.

> Are other tests mentioned in the console output of Ant?

No.

> Can it be that "hard drive" is full, so no more logs could be written?

It looks like I have 16GiB free, so I don't think this is a cause.
Thanks for the sanity check, though. I would never think to check the
disk space on a VM ;)

> JVM crashed?

No evidence of that. Ant just says "BUILD FAILED" and tells me which
test failed.

> Version of java, version of Ant =?

Java 11.0.18, ant 1.10.12.

Thanks,
-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.6

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
<ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> All,
>
> I'm getting a failure on
> jakarta.servlet.http.TestHttpServletDoHeadValidWrite0.NIO on Windows
>
> Looks like 11 failures all of the form:
>
>    Failed to delete at least one file
>
> I'm assuming that this is a spurious error, but the test keeps failing
> at that point and stopping, despite having test.haltonfailure=false in
> my build.properties file.
>
> When running ant test-status, I get only 4 tests shown under "test
> suites with failed tests" and nothing showing elsewhere. A very small
> number of other TEST-*.txt files exist in the logs/ directory.
>
> Any suggestions?

Is it a virtual machine?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.
Mark,

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 1:22 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 19/02/2023 18:15, Igal Sapir wrote:
> > I get a failure on TestImportHandlerStandardPackages on both Java 11 and
> > Java 17.  Any thoughts?  Output below:
> >
> > Testsuite: jakarta.el.TestImportHandlerStandardPackages
> > Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.319 sec
>
> That suggests an issue with the test environment. The SingleThreadModel
> class was removed in 10.1.x. Maybe you need an "ant clean"?

That did it.  In the past I used to always run `ant clean test` and for
some reason I felt like "clean" was redundant but evidently it is not.

Thank you,

Igal

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.
Chris,

On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 6:11 AM Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.6 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.1.5 are:
>
> - Switch to using the ServiceLoader mechanism to load the custom URL
>    protocol handlers that Tomcat uses.
>
> - Update the packaged version of the Apache Tomcat Native Library to
>    2.0.3 to pick up the Windows binaries built with with OpenSSL 3.0.8.
>
> - Add the shared address space specified by RFC 6598 (100.64.0.0/10)
>    to the list of trusted proxies for RemoteIPValve/Filter.
>
> - Limit access to examples web application to localhost by default
>

> For full details, see the change log:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10
> without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier
> may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat
> will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the
> webapps directory.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.6/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1421
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.6
> 9829c929059f96605a3fb870700b5887970d7203
>
> The proposed 10.1.6 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.6

I get a failure on TestImportHandlerStandardPackages on both Java 11 and
Java 17.  Any thoughts?  Output below:

Testsuite: jakarta.el.TestImportHandlerStandardPackages
Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.319 sec

Testcase: testClassListsAreComplete took 0.301 sec
       FAILED
jakarta.servlet.SingleThreadModel
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: jakarta.servlet.SingleThreadModel
       at
jakarta.el.TestImportHandlerStandardPackages.checkPackageClassList(TestImportHandlerStandardPackages.java:129)

       at
jakarta.el.TestImportHandlerStandardPackages.testClassListsAreComplete(TestImportHandlerStandardPackages.java:46)

       at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
       at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)

       at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

Igal

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.6

Posted by Dimitris Soumis <ds...@redhat.com>.
+1
Tests pass on Linux.

On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 4:20 PM Christopher Schultz <

Posted by Han Li <li...@apache.org>.

> On Feb 19, 2023, at 22:11, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.6 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.1.5 are:
>
> - Switch to using the ServiceLoader mechanism to load the custom URL
>  protocol handlers that Tomcat uses.
>
> - Update the packaged version of the Apache Tomcat Native Library to
>  2.0.3 to pick up the Windows binaries built with with OpenSSL 3.0.8.
>
> - Add the shared address space specified by RFC 6598 (100.64.0.0/10)
>  to the list of trusted proxies for RemoteIPValve/Filter.
>
> - Limit access to examples web application to localhost by default
>

> For full details, see the change log:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10 without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the webapps directory.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.6/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1421
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.6
> 9829c929059f96605a3fb870700b5887970d7203
>
> The proposed 10.1.6 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.6

Test pass.

Han

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.6

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.6 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.1.5 are:
>
> - Switch to using the ServiceLoader mechanism to load the custom URL
>    protocol handlers that Tomcat uses.
>
> - Update the packaged version of the Apache Tomcat Native Library to
>    2.0.3 to pick up the Windows binaries built with with OpenSSL 3.0.8.
>
> - Add the shared address space specified by RFC 6598 (100.64.0.0/10)
>    to the list of trusted proxies for RemoteIPValve/Filter.
>
> - Limit access to examples web application to localhost by default
>

> For full details, see the change log:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10
> without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier
> may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat
> will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the
> webapps directory.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.6/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1421
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.6
> 9829c929059f96605a3fb870700b5887970d7203
>
> The proposed 10.1.6 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.6

Unit tests pass (minus APR; I did not test with tcnative) on MacOS
w/Java 17.0.5 and Linux w/Java 17.0.6. Two cipher-related tests fail but
I believe this is an environmental problem with my local openssl version.

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.6

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> The proposed 10.1.6 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.6

Build is reproducible.

Tests pass on Linux, Windows and MacOS (Intel and M1).

Mark