Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2013/03/18 17:11:08 UTC

Struts 3 package name

I professionally work on a huge project where S1 is used everywhere. The
best upgrade path for us is to put S2 in the web container, write new
actions in S2, and convert the old S1 actions during maintenance. This
scheme is only possible because S2 uses a different package name.

If S3 is going to be a better S2, I can't recommend to my boss moving to S3
if the package name is not "struts3". I need that separate package name to
make incremental migration possible.

Thoughts?

Re: Struts 3 package name

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2013/3/20 Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>:
> Ah, well, the only unfortunate problem with calling it 2.5 is that you
> already have a 2.3. No one is going to realize you intend it as a half-jump
> release (like Tomcat 5.0 and 5.5). There will likely be confusion why a
> point release dropped so much support, but if we advertise in big bold
> letters that 2.5 is not backwards compatible, then perhaps the numbering is
> acceptable.

You are right, but it also will be a half-jump with introducing changes:
- remove deprecated plugins (JSF is in use as it turned out)
- remove deprecated code
- leave package name as is
- switch to Java 1.6

Really not so big changes as many of them were already announced to community

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Struts 3 package name

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Ah, well, the only unfortunate problem with calling it 2.5 is that you
already have a 2.3. No one is going to realize you intend it as a half-jump
release (like Tomcat 5.0 and 5.5). There will likely be confusion why a
point release dropped so much support, but if we advertise in big bold
letters that 2.5 is not backwards compatible, then perhaps the numbering is
acceptable.

Paul

Re: Struts 3 package name

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts 3 package name

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts 3 package name

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2013/3/19  <ga...@gmail.com>:
> My thoughts its a good way to keep a separate package name ? One question  Do the S3 architecture  will change ?

No, it will be the same as S2. The plan is ti just remove deprecated
parts and cleanup the code base

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Struts 3 package name

Posted by ga...@gmail.com.
My thoughts its a good way to keep a separate package name ? One question  Do the S3 architecture  will change ?
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts 3 package name

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts 3 package name

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Good point! If it is that easy, then sure.

Re: Struts 3 package name

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts 3 package name

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.