Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ángel Carrasco <fa...@arrakis.es> on 2002/09/03 02:28:50 UTC

JAVA PROCESS

Hi all:

When I start catalina in Linux, I type:

ps aux |grep java

And The system has 36 java process but the java process grows...

Can you help me, please?

Is it normal?

Thank you very much.

Ángel

Re: JAVA PROCESS

Posted by Randall R Schulz <rr...@cris.com>.
Ángel,

I assume no other Java programs are running and that all 36 of the entries
you're seeing in the "ps" output are from Catalina. This implies that 36
threads have been created by Catalina. Under Linux, each thread shows up
separately in the ps listing.

On my Windows system (Win 2K, Tomcat 4.0.4, J2 SDK 1.4.0_01) merely
starting Tomcat causes 30 threads to be created, corresponding to the six
configured connectors each with a "minProcessors=" attribute of 5. Check
your ".../conf/server.xml" file for <Connector> elements and add up all the
minProcessors= attributes. That should be your 36.

If the number grows and stays up even when there are no requests being
processed, it might be a sign of a problem. If the number fluctuates but
returns to 36 when Tomcat is again idle, then things are OK.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA