Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/04/30 16:10:07 UTC

Sun Binary JARs

Hi,

I think we finally have some good news.

I just got off the phone with Tom Kincaid, the manager for JavaMail/JAF,
and it looks like we have a workable solution.

We are not allowed to redistribute the JARs directly from ibiblio as
there are just too many legal hoops to jump through but Tom feels that
using the scraper would be perfectly fine. He's going to check on
everything and said he would also help us contact anyone else we needed
within Sun to make sure this works.

So I think it was Brian who had made the scraper, yes? I can't quite
remember, I apologize. But if possible I would like to get this code
into the repository and prepare for the final ok from Sun. Tom doesn't
think there could possibly be a problem if it goes through their site
and makes the user agree to the license. So we may have to write little
handlers for each case this will ultimately make the build process
workable with Sun binaries.

So whose got the scraper! :-)

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Sun Binary JARs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 10:42, Brian Ewins wrote:
> Jason - yes it was me. I posted the code, such as it was, a while back....
> <digs around since archives are knackered>
> the attached zip has the code and the unit tests for the bit that did
> parsing of the pages. The text of my old email follows - you need the
> data to know how to get hold of the various jars.
> Apologies its a bit rough, I never got back to this.

No problem. It's definitely something worth working on as it looks as
it's safe to use it now. Much appreciated!

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Sun Binary JARs

Posted by Brian Ewins <Br...@i-documentsystems.com>.
Jason - yes it was me. I posted the code, such as it was, a while back....
<digs around since archives are knackered>
the attached zip has the code and the unit tests for the bit that did
parsing of the pages. The text of my old email follows - you need the
data to know how to get hold of the various jars.
Apologies its a bit rough, I never got back to this.

====

The attached code can screenscrape the downloads for most of the
downloads from Sun for all the products listed below. The code is only
intended to do the screenscrape itself, things like unpacking the right
jar from the downloaded zip, moving it into maven's local repo, etc are
best left to jelly (similar to the stuff I posted previously).

A couple of the jars I was aked to try for can't be done with this code
- JCE and JSSE are available through the Sun Download Centre,
registration required etc. The structure of those two downloads are
completely different,  and while they could be done, need a bunch more
work.  I don't need these as I use the Sun 1.4 JDK, maybe someone else
would like to tackle this?

Usage:
   Sundance kid = new Sundance();
   // see URLs below for the various packages

kid.setDownloadURL("http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/download3.cgi?config-file=jts1_0.config&platform=zip&button=Continue");
   kid.requestLicense();
   System.out.println(kid.getLicense());
   // user interaction goes here
   kid.acceptLicense();
   kid.download("C:\\test-jts.zip");

If you don't do the steps in the correct order, you'll get an
IllegalStateException, in particular notice you'll get one if you try to
call acceptLicense() without calling getLicense() to grab the license
text first.

I need to wrap this up as a plugin or something, and tidy up error
handling. Open to suggestions, comments on the code etc. Be vicious. I
know this scraping approach isn't very 'neat' (compared to using jtidy,
nekohtml, etc and working with the DOM) but first time I tried this,
Neko was giving me back empty docs and I didn't want to play around with
it too long. Also the html produced by download3.cgi is atrocious, not
sure how well that would be handled.

I do have unit test code for most of the parser stuff, but I'm not sure
how you'd test the 'real' download bits without doing real downloads,
which would be a pain when rebuilding maven.

-Baz

EJB, various releases:
http://java.sun.com/Download5?config-file=ejb-2_1-pfd-class.config&platform=zip&type=api&button=Continue

http://java.sun.com/Download5?config-file=ejb-1_1-pfd-class.config&platform=zip&type=pfd-class&button=Continue

(the EJB 2.0 download gets a server error. Don't know why, it looks the
same as the rest)

JAF 1.1:
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7037&button=Continue

Javamail 1.3:
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7036&button=Continue
javamail 1.2:
http://java.sun.com/Download4?config-file=JavaMail-1_2.config&platform=zip&button=continue

Javamail 1.1.3
http://java.sun.com/Download3?config-file=javamail1_1_3.config&platform=zip&button=Continue

JDBC optional packages
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7287&button=Continue

JMS, various
http://java.sun.com/Download5?config-file=jms-1_1-fr-apidocs.config&type=fr-apidocs&platform=zip&button=continue

http://java.sun.com/Download5?config-file=jms-1_0_2b.config&platform=zip&button=continue

JNDI 1.2.1 Class Libraries
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7306&button=Continue
LDAP Service Provider, 1.2.4
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7307&button=Continue
DNS Service Provider, 1.2
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7302&button=Continue
NIS Service Provider, 1.2.1
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7308&button=Continue
RMI Registry Service Provider, 1.2.1
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7309&button=Continue
File System Service Provider, 1.2 Beta 3
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7304&button=Continue
COS Naming Service Provider, 1.2.1
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7301&button=Continue
DSML v1 Service Provider, 1.2
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7303&button=Continue
JNDI Demo Browser (source and binaries)
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7305&button=Continue

JTA
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7262&button=Continue

JTS
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/download3.cgi?config-file=jts1_0.config&platform=zip&button=Continue

XML Apis (summer pack)
http://java.sun.com/Download5?config-file=java_xml_pack-summer02_01.config&platform=zip&button=continue

Jason van Zyl wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think we finally have some good news.
>
>I just got off the phone with Tom Kincaid, the manager for JavaMail/JAF,
>and it looks like we have a workable solution.
>
>We are not allowed to redistribute the JARs directly from ibiblio as
>there are just too many legal hoops to jump through but Tom feels that
>using the scraper would be perfectly fine. He's going to check on
>everything and said he would also help us contact anyone else we needed
>within Sun to make sure this works.
>
>So I think it was Brian who had made the scraper, yes? I can't quite
>remember, I apologize. But if possible I would like to get this code
>into the repository and prepare for the final ok from Sun. Tom doesn't
>think there could possibly be a problem if it goes through their site
>and makes the user agree to the license. So we may have to write little
>handlers for each case this will ultimately make the build process
>workable with Sun binaries.
>
>So whose got the scraper! :-)

Privacy and Confidentiality Notice

The information contained in this E-Mail message is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed.  Such information is confidential and privileged and no mistake in transmission is intended to waive or compromise such privilege.  If you have received it in error, please destroy it and notify us on the telephone number printed above.  If you do not receive complete and legible copies, please telephone us immediately. Any opinions expressed herein including attachments are those of the author only. i-documentsystems Ltd. does not accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any changes to this Email, however made, after it was sent. (Please note that it is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses).