Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/05 22:33:31 UTC

Use repository.apache.org for deployment

Hi,

Apache has a new Nexus repository manager installed at
https://repository.apache.org/. It's much nicer than the
people.apache.org/repo repositories for both snapshot and release
deployment. For snapshots, we can simply configure the Hudson build to
"mvn deploy" to the repository without worrying about syncing stuff
from hudson.zones.apache.org to people.apache.org. And for releases,
the release manager can just "mvn deploy" into an automatically
created staging repository that can easily be approved or cancelled
based on the result of the release vote. The release manager doesn't
need to worry about altDeploymentRepository settings or manually
copying artifacts between staging repositories.

Unless anyone objects, I'll ask the repository.apache.org maintainers
to set things up for Tika and update the Tika POMs accordingly.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Use repository.apache.org for deployment

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless anyone objects, I'll ask the repository.apache.org maintainers
> to set things up for Tika and update the Tika POMs accordingly.

I filed INFRA-2197 [1] for this.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Fwd: Use repository.apache.org for deployment

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:59:22 +0200
Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org> wrote:

> > You may still want to review things like the contents of the
> > META-INF directories in the generated jar files. The latest Apache
> > parent POM uses the remote resources plugin to place LICENSE and
> > NOTICE files there. It's a good idea to verify that the contents of
> > these files is correct.
>
> Looks good to me, would feel better though, if someone else could have
> a look at the patch before I commit.

I just now realized that we were maintaining and copying our own NOTICE
and LICENSE files. Removed the corresponding configuration from
the poms to see whether the mechanism provided by the Apache parent pom
works.

As far as I can see, LICENSE gets copied fine, NOTICE* however gets
truncated and no longer contains information on software we use and
distribute (+ their license) - this information seems to have moved to
a DEPENDENCIES file? Wondering whether that is intended or a bug
on my side?

Isabel

* There are two versions in svn, the one in buildtools/src/main/res...
looks bogus to me, it seems to be the one from Apache CXF:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/mahout/trunk/buildtools/src/main/resources/META-INF/NOTICE?view=markup

Re: Fwd: Use repository.apache.org for deployment

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:02:41 +0200
Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Isabel Drost<is...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > I added the apache parent to our pom - at least a "mvn install" from
> > root still runs smoothly.
>
> You may still want to review things like the contents of the META-INF
> directories in the generated jar files. The latest Apache parent POM
> uses the remote resources plugin to place LICENSE and NOTICE files
> there. It's a good idea to verify that the contents of these files is
> correct.

Looks good to me, would feel better though, if someone else could have
a look at the patch before I commit.

> > If I understood the release guide correctly, basically all that
> > needs to be done in the POM is to add the apache parent?
>
> That should cover all the build changes you need. Note that you need
> to be using Maven for building and deploying snapshots and the Maven
> release plugin to do releases for all of this to work smoothly (that's
> the scenario the parent POM settings are designed for).

AFAIK we use the release plugin for doing releases.

> > repository.apache.org maintainers - that would be infra@apache,
> > namely INFRA-1896, right?
>
> Yes. Adding a subtask of INFRA-1896 is the recommended way to move
> forward with this.

Done.

Thanks for your help with that Jukka.

Isabel

Re: Fwd: Use repository.apache.org for deployment

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Isabel Drost<is...@apache.org> wrote:
> I added the apache parent to our pom - at least a "mvn install" from
> root still runs smoothly.

You may still want to review things like the contents of the META-INF
directories in the generated jar files. The latest Apache parent POM
uses the remote resources plugin to place LICENSE and NOTICE files
there. It's a good idea to verify that the contents of these files is
correct.

> If I understood the release guide correctly, basically all that needs
> to be done in the POM is to add the apache parent?

That should cover all the build changes you need. Note that you need
to be using Maven for building and deploying snapshots and the Maven
release plugin to do releases for all of this to work smoothly (that's
the scenario the parent POM settings are designed for). Otherwise
you'll need to make sure that all the parent POM settings work
correctly also in your build processes.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 06:27:04 -0700
Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> > From: Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>
> > For snapshots, we can simply configure the Hudson build
> > to "mvn deploy" to the repository without worrying about syncing
> > stuff from hudson.zones.apache.org to people.apache.org.

That sounds particularly interesting to me: Having a repo that has
(maybe nightly) Mahout-0.2-SNAPSHOTS deployed would help those very
early bleeding edge adopters on maven.

Had a look at our hudson entry
(http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Mahout%20Trunk/ - right?) -
from the command line output of the last build it seems like it is still
configured to build with ant?

I guess it might make sense to mark jira issues that have patches
attached to them as "patch available" once that is fixed?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Isabel Drost<is...@apache.org> wrote:
> Do you know whether and where there is any information online on which
> adjustments are necessary in the POMs?

The Maven release guide [1] covers this quite well.

The latest org.apache:apache parent POM [2] contains most of these
settings as defaults for any projects that inherit from it. Note
however that the version 6 of that POM also introduces a number of
other new things (remote resources plugin, attached source and javadoc
artifacts, etc.), so it should be carefully reviewed before making it
the parent of an existing POM.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/releasing.html
[2] http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/apache/6/apache-6.pom

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 06:27:04 -0700
Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> FYI.   Sounds interesting.  Perhaps we should look into it.

Sounds interesting indeed.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
FYI.   Sounds interesting.  Perhaps we should look into it.

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Mattmann, Chris A
(388J)<ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> +1, but I'll need some hand-holding if I do the RM duties again! :)

No problem, I've used the repository.apache.org server now for a few
Jackrabbit releases and it's dead simple. Basically, once we've set up
the POMs for this, the process to do a release is:

1. mvn release:prepare (sanity checks, sets POM version numbers, tags
the sources, etc.)
2. mvn release:perform (checks out the tagged release, mvn deploy's to
repository.apache.org)
3. go to https://repository.apache.org/ and "Close" the new staged repository
4. export, package and sign the tagged sources from above
5. call the release vote

If we wanted, we could probably automate step 4 and make it run
automatically as a part of step 2.

Once the release vote passes, the steps to publish the artifacts are:

1. go to https://repository.apache.org/ and "Promote" the staged repository
2. copy the source archive to /www/www.apache.org/dist/lucene/tika
3. update Tika web site

In summary a lot less manual tweaking (version numbers, tags, staged
repositories, etc.) is needed.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1, but I'll need some hand-holding if I do the RM duties again! :)

Thanks, Jukka!

Cheers,
Chris

On 8/5/09 1:33 PM, "Jukka Zitting" <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]