Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Vicky Kak <vi...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/11 19:23:54 UTC

Make accumulo shell easy to use.

Hi Guys,

Every time I am building the accumulo the distribution would get created
and when I run the accumulo shell I get information on console like this

Accumulo is not properly configured.

Try running $ACCUMULO_HOME/bin/bootstrap_config.sh and then editing
$ACCUMULO_HOME/conf/accumulo-env.sh

If I am using a fake option and trying to connect to the MAC I should be
not be getting the above messages. I should be allowed to connect to MAC
seamlessly.
This simply speeds the development spike.

So every day I pull the latest changes and build the accumulo the previous
days configuration gets wiped off and I will have to do it again.
Another way would be to take a backup of the earlier build configured
accumulo and  use accumulo shell from it. It would save the time.

I would be interested to know what procedure other developers are using.

Right now I can say the development and setup process is cumbersome and we
should make it simple and seamless, may be there is already a better option
which I am not aware of. We need to have a wiki/document about it.

Looking forward to hear from community about it.

Thanks,
Vicky

Re: Make accumulo shell easy to use.

Posted by Vicky Kak <vi...@gmail.com>.
I did not said that we have to set  the env variable in bootstrap_conf.sh
but to get the accumuo shell running after the fresh build we have to run
bootstrap_config.sh for the first time. I can set the environment variable
in the ~.bashrc.
I checked it again now!

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.
Unfortunately to run the shell, it does seem like accumulo-env.sh needs to
be readable, even in the case where you have those variables set (and are
using the shell's -z flag). There seems to be a hack by setting
ACCUMULO_TEST env var, but that seems really hacky and rediculous.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.

Posted by Vicky Kak <vi...@gmail.com>.