Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by John George <Jo...@troux.com> on 2004/09/28 05:20:34 UTC

Another ClassNotFoundException (but it's there!) error

Hi all,

I have a very weird error that I am at a loss to debug. It appears to be similar to the error encountered in Stijn de Witt's "Action not found (but it's there)?" (Aug 9 2004) thread.

I deploy my portlet's jar file to the WEB-INF/lib directory. The portlet works fine. Next, I make some minor changes to the portlet's action class (the one that is specified in the corresponding xreg file), and then I redeploy my portlet's jar file (after shutting down the application server of course). But then when I try to access my portlet again, I _usually_ get the following exception:

Requested Action not found: tsp.BSMPolicyPortletAction
	Turbine looked in the following modules.packages path:
	[org.apache.jetspeed.modules, org.apache.turbine.modules, com.troux.tip.modules]

	at org.apache.turbine.modules.ActionLoader.getInstance(ActionLoader.java:174)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.ActionLoader.exec(ActionLoader.java:122)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.pages.DefaultPage.doBuild(DefaultPage.java:143)
	at org.apache.turbine.modules.Page.build(Page.java:90)

The weird thing is that this error is hard to reproduce. I've set up 5 separate JetSpeed installs on my workstation, and I can reproduce the error in about 3 of them.  If I replace the jar file on the error prone installations with the original version, then it will work again.

The package names are all correct, and the files are all in the correct location (it works for 2 of my JetSpeed installations). Any ideas on what is going on?

For what it's worth, I am using JetSpeed 1.4 on Tomcat 4.1.29 using the Java 1.4.2 SDK.

Thanks,
John George