Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Smith, Thad" <ts...@ercot.com> on 2005/05/05 18:07:58 UTC

Multi-language projects

Hi,

I'm new to Maven and am looking at it to unify the build processes for
all of the internal products my group supports. We have several J2EE
projects that we're working on which makes Maven a good fit. But we also
have several non-Java projects and what's worse is that some of our J2EE
projects have other languages intertwined such as Perl and C and even
some proprietary languages.

I'm looking for two things...First, is anyone else out there using Maven
to successfully manage non-java projects like this? If so, do you have
any experiences/best practices that you can share?

Secondly, Are there any plugins out there to do Perl validation or C
compilation? My intuition is no since I can't find them on any of the
Maven plugin pages. I wanted to make sure before I go writing my own.

Regards,

Thad Smith
Senior Software Engineer
Electric Reliability Council of Texas

Re: Multi-language projects

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
I have good success using maven-native-plugin, but

  1. it uses ant's cpp-tasks which is not in active development
  2. cpp-task does not support 'C', but there are uncommitted
      patches.  cpp-task is fairly straight forward to
      maintain yourself . (which can be bad)
  3. This plugin also not complete yet to handle diffirents native library
      formats (ie .dll. so. sl. a, etc)  but you can fixed it yourself

Overall, despite of all those above, it is well worth the switch to achieve
unify and predictable build system.

-D

Re: Multi-language projects

Posted by baleineca <ba...@gmail.com>.