Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Patton <da...@t-mobile.com> on 2002/12/11 04:45:19 UTC

war files and context entries

I have a war file that I deploy to my server 4.1.12.  If I just deploy
the war file without making any entries in the server.xml file and start
Tomcat, everything is fine.  OK so far.  However, if I make an explicit
context entry in the server.xml file for the war file using the
following entry:

<Host name="localhost" debug="9" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true">
    <Context path="/cda" docBase="cda.war" debug="9" reloadable="true"/>
</Host>

When I try to start tomcat, it looks as if everything is going fine then
it just quits with no errors or anything.  I checked the logfile, and
the last entry is:
[timestamp] StandardContext[/cda]: Sending application start events
[timestamp] StandardContext[/cda]: Starting filters

Am I missing something here? Obviously I am cause it doesnt work.  I
know my war file is correctly configured because it works fine without
the <Context> entry.

Dave Patton

Re: war files and context entries

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Try creating a context.xml file and put yoru <Context ...> entry in
that.  Now put your context.xml in META-INF of your .war file.  Remove the
context entry from Server.xml.  When Tomcat starts up and doesn't see your
war there, it will mark the context as disabled and will get confused if
you later try to put the .war file for that context there while Tomcat is
running.  Now Start Tomcat fresh and then deploy your .war file.  Things
should work fine now.

Jake