Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Mario Emmenlauer <ma...@emmenlauer.de> on 2020/04/23 09:34:46 UTC

Who maintains the Node.js package?

Hi all,

I've seen repeated requests for an update of the Node.js package,
see i.e. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-5039 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-5170.

I would be happy to understand if there is significant effort
involved to make a new Node.js release? The docs make it seem rather
trivial, but then again I've never done it. My reasoning is that if
the steps are sufficiently simple, the process could be added to
the build scripts, in the hope that more people can make more
releases in shorter time intervals.

Can someone help? Does that make sense or are there obstacles
I'm overlooking?

All the best,

    Mario

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de

Re: Who maintains the Node.js package?

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org>.
IIRC there was some script to do it. Lets's do the release first.

Posted by Mario Emmenlauer <ma...@emmenlauer.de>.

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de
D-81669 München                          http://www.biodataanalysis.de/

Re: Who maintains the Node.js package?

when the 0.14.0 release is due, I think its good timing to recover
the Node.js account credentials and try to publish a new package?
The current 0.13.0 package is broken, and has probably never worked
in the past year or two.

I have not much experience in publishing Node.js, but I have done
it before, so if nobody has the slightest interest in doing it, I
can offer to try (and update often if something should not be good).
In any case, it can not be worse than the current official 0.13.0
package has been :-)

If nobody of the current active team has the account credentials
and nobody can get a hold of Jim, then we might need to dispute the
package (https://www.npmjs.com/policies/disputes) to get the name
back. Again, if anybody can do that, please speak up? Otherwise I
can do it.

All the best,

     Mario

On 13.05.20 02:49, Jens Geyer wrote:
> Try to contact Jim.
>
> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- From: Mario Emmenlauer
> Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:36 PM
> To: dev@thrift.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Who maintains the Node.js package?
>

> Dear All,
>
> does anyone from the active team still have access to the
> npm credentials for uploading new packages? Its really not
> acceptable how long this issue has been ongoing. There are
> more than twohundred *listed* npm packages that depend of
> thrift, possibly manyfold more unlisted.
>
> Please upload a new package, or give someone access that
> can to that.
>
> All the best,
>
>      Mario Emmenlauer
>

> On 23.04.20 11:34, Mario Emmenlauer wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've seen repeated requests for an update of the Node.js package,
>> see i.e. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-5039 and
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-5170.
>>
>> I would be happy to understand if there is significant effort
>> involved to make a new Node.js release? The docs make it seem rather
>> trivial, but then again I've never done it. My reasoning is that if
>> the steps are sufficiently simple, the process could be added to
>> the build scripts, in the hope that more people can make more
>> releases in shorter time intervals.
>>
>> Can someone help? Does that make sense or are there obstacles
>> I'm overlooking?
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>>      Mario

Viele Gruesse,

     Mario Emmenlauer

Posted by Mario Emmenlauer <ma...@emmenlauer.de>.
Hi again,

when the 0.14.0 release is due, I think its good timing to recover
the Node.js account credentials and try to publish a new package?
The current 0.13.0 package is broken, and has probably never worked
in the past year or two.

I have not much experience in publishing Node.js, but I have done
it before, so if nobody has the slightest interest in doing it, I
can offer to try (and update often if something should not be good).
In any case, it can not be worse than the current official 0.13.0
package has been :-)

If nobody of the current active team has the account credentials
and nobody can get a hold of Jim, then we might need to dispute the
package (https://www.npmjs.com/policies/disputes) to get the name
back. Again, if anybody can do that, please speak up? Otherwise I
can do it.

All the best,

     Mario

On 13.05.20 02:49, Jens Geyer wrote:
> Try to contact Jim.
>
> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- From: Mario Emmenlauer
> Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:36 PM
> To: dev@thrift.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Who maintains the Node.js package?
>

> Dear All,
>
> does anyone from the active team still have access to the
> npm credentials for uploading new packages? Its really not
> acceptable how long this issue has been ongoing. There are
> more than twohundred *listed* npm packages that depend of
> thrift, possibly manyfold more unlisted.
>
> Please upload a new package, or give someone access that
> can to that.
>
> All the best,
>
>      Mario Emmenlauer
>

> On 23.04.20 11:34, Mario Emmenlauer wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've seen repeated requests for an update of the Node.js package,
>> see i.e. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-5039 and
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-5170.
>>
>> I would be happy to understand if there is significant effort
>> involved to make a new Node.js release? The docs make it seem rather
>> trivial, but then again I've never done it. My reasoning is that if
>> the steps are sufficiently simple, the process could be added to
>> the build scripts, in the hope that more people can make more
>> releases in shorter time intervals.
>>
>> Can someone help? Does that make sense or are there obstacles
>> I'm overlooking?
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>>      Mario

Viele Gruesse,